The Blame Game | Teen Ink

The Blame Game

January 14, 2015
By Kristyynmarie BRONZE, Escondido, California
Kristyynmarie BRONZE, Escondido, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Why is it constantly perceived as the woman’s fault if she gets raped? Because men don’t like to take responsibility and admit that they are wrong. This is an issue that we see rising, especially on college campuses. This really resonates with me because I am a young woman who is about to go to college and frankly am quite scared. Lately, there have been many instances in which a woman is raped and the guy who did the crime doesn't do any time. Statistics show that “28% of perpetrators who were found out faced no consequences,” (Freleng). and that’s if anyone even finds out about the incident. This number is just too low. When this happens, the assaulted woman instead is the one who gets punished. She has to deal with the emotional and physical trauma while the man gets off scott free. The problem is rape as well as the blame that gets placed on women because of the way they dressed or even the “signals” they gave the man. I tell you these are no reasons women should be taken advantage of. No means no. The after math results in judgment from everyone around them who knows what happened. A woman gets raped and friends begin to call her a slut or dirty, saying she should be more modest. It’s her fault. She is the one who has to suffer by being looked down upon by her peers and sometimes even her family. In the same article by Freleng, she states, “50 percent [of the perpetrators] felt that their victim was “completely” responsible,” (Freleng). Men know darn well what they are doing when they sexually assault and rape women. The fact that this has become such an issue but people still continue to overlook it disgusts me. There is no way it is the woman’s fault she was raped. We as a society need to teach boys growing up about sexual assaults, victim blaming and the immorality of it all instead of telling women they are sluts and deserve it for the way they dress. No one deserves to be assaulted, violated, and punished for something that they cannot control.