Does Style Really Matter? | Teen Ink

Does Style Really Matter?

By casertam721 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
casertam721 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not -Kurt Cobain

"Ew what are they wearing? They looks stupid"; this is one of the most common things you hear among many adolescents and it is being brought out of proportion. The fact that so many people can label an individual just by judging them from what they wear is completely unnecessary. This "necessity" of bashing people for their style and character is pathetic and it needs to come to an end.

Every year there is a child in America that is judged, or even bullied for wearing something "uncommon". The fact that others can degrade someone and their confidence like that is completely inappropriate. No child should be afraid to express their self through what they wear. Now do not get me wrong, I do believe there is a time and a place for certain outfits, but there is never a time and a place for someone to devalue that individual. Making someone look bad just because they wear something you do not completely agree with is immoral and disheartening. But sadly many students do not understand the severity of the matter. 

This "joke" that you have made about one of your peers may not be funny to them; as a matter of fact it may hurt them. When someone is offended by a peer they may react in plenty of different ways. Whether the response is through violence, silence, or even worse, it could have been prevented. That person you considered a friend the other day is no longer your friend and it is because you did not keep something to yourself. You may chuckle at first, or you may not even care at all, but this lack of respect for the other person makes you seem like the fool. I know that some outfits may seem ridiculous, but is such harsh criticism really worth it? 

I know of many teenagers who have been criticized and called derogatory terms all because of an outfit. The effect this has had on them was saddening and no one should ever feel that way. I hope that one day people can come to the realization that you cannot judge a book by it's cover, but only by the words on the page. There is so much more to a person than what they wear, and getting the chance to get to know them is progress. Making others feel as if they are worthless should never be someone’s goal in life, and if it is that is distressing.

All I am asking for is an attempt; for people to stand up for one another and to try and be understanding. Whether they are wearing the most hideous outfit in the world, or the nicest shoes on the planet, this does not represent them. Taking the "risk" of getting to know someone can never hurt you--and if anything-- could benefit you completely. Do not put yourself up on a pedestal and the person that dresses differently below you. For all you know that could be someone that relates to you, is always there for you, and is willing to do anything for you; it could your best friend for the rest of your life.

What inspired me:The stereotypes that outfits define a person