The American Dream | Teen Ink

The American Dream

By writtenonmysoul PLATINUM, Farmington, New Mexico
writtenonmysoul PLATINUM, Farmington, New Mexico

Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

If somehow I were able to wake up back when you grew up, I would. I would go back to the American dream. Where anyone could come over with the clothes on their back and make it in America. Where you didn’t have to know what you wanted to be when you grew up until you actually grew up. Back when school was actually learning and A’s were hard to get. When the education wasn’t made “common core” so that no one feels left out. Today, we need a time like that, because not everyone can be CEO, we need some janitors to clean their office too. The dream may not have fit all, but it fit those that tried. If you tried to earn a living, you earned a living. But today the dream is gone. Everyone needs a chance, like some participation ribbon. Those that actually try are somehow mixed into a pot with those that don’t care. And those who don’t care look just has good on paper because of the twisted education that isn’t even accepted in some places anymore. Somehow trying to keep the dream alive did the exact opposite. Getting an A or B in school is average. Anything lower is basically an F. Memorizing useless facts has taken the place of learning, because demands have lessened into the bare minimum. Today, minimum requirements for jobs have somehow became high school and college degrees because of how easy they’re to achieve. A child is expected to have their entire life planned out before fifteen. And if they don’t they can kiss goodbye a career. The American dream isn’t supposed to be this. The dream was supposed to be a fantasy land that actually existed. We were supposed to be able to make it here! It was supposed to be possible for a hard worker to work their way to the top, but now the top is a joke. The bottom is just as bad. It doesn’t get better anywhere. If only we could bring back authority instead of this equality chaos. It has only made things hard for those that try. After their years of work, 44% of college graduates are working a job that doesn’t even require a college degree. Only 36% of them were making above 45,000 dollars a year. These are supposed to the future leaders of America, but how can they lead if one in five of them will settle for a part time job! How can they lead if we have led them to give up. It’s a joke. We have lead the horse to water and instructed it not to drink. We have killed the livestock. If I could go back I would because today the American Dream is just that, a dream.