LIKE Yourself! | Teen Ink

LIKE Yourself!

By MonicaCruz GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
MonicaCruz GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

Disturbing and abominable; those are words that describe how I feel seeing woman without self-respect. Now days many woman want to date the hottest boy at any cost. Sadly most of the times they do things that lower their value as a lady. I see woman using inappropriate clothing like see through shirts, extremely short skirts, or a top just to get attention. Many fulfill their faces with makeup and don’t accept the real person they are. A lot of this leads to social media.

Most of the time girls use the internet to gain popularity and feel accepted. They post nude pictures and make themselves look like sex objects. Girls try to be someone they are not and act a certain way just to fit in. Many post videos of them dancing sexually, upload provocative pictures, or post ridiculous comments just to get LIKES. In my opinion there is a pledge with LIKES.  I do believe that most of the times they do it because they feel accepted by others. But girls should understand that getting LIKES shouldn’t be the reason why they feel secure with themselves. Many get sexual comments but it seems that it fascinates them because they keep on doing it. Then there’s this war between girls either in Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc.  They all want to have lots of followers and LIKES.  I myself am a witness of this. I see how girls will upload the most absurd ridiculous comments, videos and pictures to obtain LIKES. Girls learn how to support each other; we are all worth the same.

But this war will definitely never come to an end. Everybody, including me, wants to look superior and have better attributes. Many teen age girls look up after celebrities and fantasize to look like one. I accept the fact that I sometimes want to look like one because I feel ghastly as well. We should definitely realize that most of their pictures are photo shopped and edited in many ways. In real life they look different they sometimes look nothing similar to their pictures. Nicki Minaj, Beyonce, and Kim Kardashian are most likely a role model for lots of girls. I admit that I admire and contemplate them because they are flawless. But, think about this. How real are they? Do you want to imitate somebody else’s life instead of living yours? Are you willing to throw your life at the most unconceivable obscure place just to feel accepted by a group of people that do nothing but make you feel worthless? Those are some questions that you should all have in your conscience instead of feeling vile and doing things that ruin your reputation.

Music also has a big role in this and it’s a big controversy.  It is turning into a pledge where there’s no cure to it. Tragically some adults blame celebrities and music for how ladies think and act. That’s unreasonable since we are all responsible for our own actions and we are committing the errors. It’s true that many songs describe girls with skinny waists, sexy, and gorgeous. In my opinion this destroys a girl mentally because they consider that no one would love them unless they fit in that category; which leads to them acting a certain way or dressing differently to attract guys. Guys that later on end up mistreating and disrespecting them. Then we blame others for what happens to us instead of accepting that it is our fault just because we “love” that guy. It’s arduous to control your heart but with diligence you can gain respect back. Appease yourself and not others.

I don’t blame guys, neither do I blame girls.  I do believe that the individual should have self-respect and dignity.  If you don’t have respect for yourself no one will. I am conscious I am no one to dictate individuals what to do; but many girls need to impede acting vulgar and portray themselves like the decent lady that’s hiding with in them. Stop agonizing about your size and if you aren’t appeased with it then do something for yourself and stop letting others define you. Start by focusing on what really makes you content and don’t fantasize too much about having a curvy body. Comparing yourself with others only decreases your value as a human being. Remember, perfection doesn’t exist but you can be perfect to yourself.