Why Is It So Hard to Let Go? | Teen Ink

Why Is It So Hard to Let Go?

December 12, 2014
By EllieSzekeresh BRONZE, Johnstown, Pennsylvania
EllieSzekeresh BRONZE, Johnstown, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

All over the world, people are struggling to overcome their addiction to a drug more powerful than any other. The way that people become attached to other people cannot compare to the way people become attached to heroin. Why does the death of an individual cause so much despair to others? That person whose life has been taken away meant a great deal to some. Those relationships that have been developed before the death are irreplaceable, and it seems as if you will never stop hurting from the loss.


Although, just like heroin, you will not realize how powerful a relationship is until it is taken away from you. If you have ever been in a relationship, you could probably confirm that when that relationship was still present in your life, you took advantage of it. You might have treated your partner poorly during the relationship, but if your actions were unacceptable enough, eventually that person will come to his/her senses and leave you. At this point, you will probably be completely shocked. You never stopped to think how truly terrible you were being, and you would never even begin to think that your partner would ever leave you. This is the part that the regret kicks in. Sometimes, it’s just one mistake that can make the world of a difference. Just that one choice you made. Just that one stupid decision.


I believe that regret is a major explanation to why we find it so difficult to let go. Sometimes, when someone you care about passes, you feel that you should have done something for that person or you should have said something when you had a chance to. But other times, it could be something you shouldn’t have said or shouldn’t have done. The same situation applies to relationships. Sometimes, the reason that your partner is no longer your partner is because of a mistake that you easily could have avoided. We find ourselves thinking, If only I hadn’t done that, we would still be together!  When this is the case, we have every desire in the world for a time machine. We wish with every portion of our minds that we could go back in time and tell ourselves what would happen if we were to go through with our actions. This is why, in my belief, the past is so hard to put behind us.


Another huge factor to having trouble letting go is the memories. When someone dies, or someone leaves you, it hits you. Hard. The realization that someone you love is gone comes barreling towards you all at once, and the feeling of utter shock and terror overwhelms you. The feeling is unreal. Sometimes you will never completely grasp the reality that it actually happened. The first thing you find yourself doing is reminiscing everything you have been through with that person- the countless good times you shared, and the hard times that built your relationship with that person stronger. These relationships are the hardest ones to let go of. These relationships are with people who you hold nearest and dearest to your heart. Imagine losing someone like that. This is a ruthless feeling. You used to believe that the memories you shared would be endless, but everything falls apart when it comes to an end.


So why is it so hard to let go? Is it simply that we refuse to let go? Sometimes we are completely unwilling to actually let go of someone we love. We tend to convince ourselves that we would be better off with that person, when in reality, what we need is to free our stress and worries by letting go. If we open ourselves to the option to free what we’re holding onto, it will lead to a much happier, healthier life.