Teen Ink | Teen Ink

Teen Ink

By Dreaa SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
Dreaa SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

What do you think about teenagers with tattoos? Do you think its looks good? Do you think it will truly affect their future? Do you think that they think so? Many teens aren’t thinking when they go and get tattoos. They want to be “rebellious” and “independent” and make decisions like that for themselves. They are not truly mature enough to make these decisions because these tattoos can affect their lives later. But of course they don’t think so.

What most teens don’t understand is that your tattoos won’t affect you much at the moment. School will still let you attend with tattoos but eventually you will regret it. Most jobs will not accept you when you have tattoos covering your arms. At many restaurants you much be able to cover them at all times if you want to work there. In the summer time that can be a pain when you feel as if you’re sweating to death. Only 29% of jobs in the United States permit tattoos (without) being covered up) in the work place. Also a lot of teens decide to go into the military or army. They eventually find out that if your tattoo can’t be covered then you cannot enter. This is now a problem for them and for the association that they wanted to go into because they can’t join and do what they planned or receive the benefits and now the military/army now have one less person to fight for our country. Two of my good friends wanted to go into the National Guard and were told that they could not because they could not cover their tattoos. They planned on going into the army for years because it didn’t require a payment or good grades. Now they are stuck and don’t know what to do.

Another big problem is that tattoos don’t wipe off in the shower. They are forever! If you want them removed then you would have to be willing to put up a lot of money and pain. I personally have seen so many people with tattoos that are just ridiculous. Silly tattoos of cartoon characters, brands of shoes, boyfriend/girlfriends names, etc. look plain dumb. When you and that girl break up, you can’t break up with the tattoo too! And why get a Jordan’s sign tattooed on you, now you’re just a walking advertisement.  And tattoos are extremely expensive too. Most places (depending on how big your tattoo is) will charge you 50+ dollars. While your spending money on something so useless you could be spending that money on something you need. Also when you get a tattoo you cant even donate blood for a year passed the date of your tattoo.

When I was about 14, my boyfriend and I had been together for a little over a year. I was hopelessly in love with that boy and began saving up my money to go and get a tattoo of his name on my wrist. I didn’t think twice about it. As the date for me to get my tattoo was coming closer I started noticing a lot of weird behavior from my boyfriend. I found out he cheated on me with one of my “best friends”! I was beyond heart broken. I was so happy in the end that I found out before I went and got it done because so many things could have gone wrong. I was going to spend $65 on a non-professional tattoo that could have gotten infected. Now I am planning on entering the National Guard. If I were to have gotten that tattoo a few years back then I wouldn’t be allowed to join. Also recently my friend let her boyfriend give her a tattoo and he pushed the needle in her skin too deep so she bled a lot and now it’s all scabbed up and he drew it backwards so now she has a ridiculous scar on her hip now.

So I honestly think that if you do decide to get a tattoo then you should just wait until your 100% sure that it’s what you want and when your legally allowed to get it on your own. Even if you think you’re ready, maybe you should overthink it a little bit.  Don’t forget that a lot can go wrong with tattoos and they are forever.

Mikey123 said...
Hehe. That title is amazing.