Definition of Drama | Teen Ink

Definition of Drama

December 8, 2014
By baycramer BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona
baycramer BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In the real world, an average human being will go through drama that impacts his or her life whether it involves theater or drama with interacting people in a series of events. This drama could be relative to someone’s hobby of acting or abrupt affairs. Usually people tend to abuse this word in how they apply it in their lives- always thinking of this word in a negative way, not even putting the words together. The exact definition of drama from Google is “an exciting, emotional, or unexpected series of events or set of circumstances.” The true meaning of drama is gradually changing into something totally different, because no one actually knows the proper meaning of it, or how to figure out and differentiate between the assorted meanings. This then raises the obvious question, what does drama really mean?


Drama, as everyone knows, it has many different meanings which could make it quite simple to misuse. Drama is used in multiple ways, making it confusing for many. The most common ways to use drama would be in reference to the theater and acting or in reference to people bickering with each other or being in a fight. Although this term is commonly used when it refers to acting, a play, and the people in it, it can be confused by others. A person may say “I love being involved in drama,” confusing one who could not know this other meaning. They would think that this person loves being involved in drama, such as meeting after school to get in a fight because their friend stole their boyfriend. However, they are actually trying to say that they love the idea of being on stage. Because of the often misunderstanding of the word drama, it would be helpful if people began to clarify exactly what they mean.


The definition of drama is either acting, fear or a series of unexpected events. Most likely, a person who hears the word drama will automatically think of something hostile. This word can be anything that is over exaggerated. An example of drama could be something as small as someone freaking out right before they get on a rollercoaster. Often times someone will get mistreated by another person, then say that specific person gives off a lot of drama, even though they are the one reacting to something that is not necessarily dramatic. Another example would be someone calling somebody else drama as they are dramatically rolling their eyes at the same time. These are just a few small examples of different scenarios in which one may experience their version of drama in a real life application. The only reason something is drama is if there are different kinds of reactions to a situation which could be positive and negative.


As people may not know it, drama occurs daily in a standard life. Even though it is not, any person would agree that anytime the word drama comes to mind, it sounds negative right away. For example, if you were to hear someone talking about their day “full of drama” you would think right away that they either had an argument with someone or got in a major fight; that they overall had a miserable day. Just because the word drama is used in their explanation does not mean it is defective. This person could be explaining their accomplishment of singing at a concert, got hired at the high-paying job they desired their whole lives, or got the chance to travel around the world with their closest friends. Because of the way our society runs, the word ‘drama’ only associates with bad things because how it has evolved with people over time.


In an average world, with people who interact with others, the word drama is often misunderstood. Although drama is perceived to have a negative sound to it, it is not always a bad thing. Drama could involve conflict, or it could involve acting in a play or movie. While others may think of the emotional high school girls not getting along with their BFFs or hearing about two children stealing each other’s toys when they hear the word drama, this is not the only thing drama could be. Along with the many examples stated, the word drama could have negative and positive connotations to it. This is a word, like many others, that is too often misunderstood to the point that only its negative understanding is seen. It is important to remember to see both sides of a word, just as one would try and understand both sides of any situation.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece for an assignment in my AP language arts class, but i actually relate very much with it!