American Dreams | Teen Ink

American Dreams

By Sparky88 SILVER, Hartford, Wisconsin
Sparky88 SILVER, Hartford, Wisconsin

America is the country of opportunity, with programs to help you do whatever you want. Just because your family is poor doesn’t mean you can have the same job or choices as someone in the upper class. You just have to work harder.

Everything is appreciated more if its learned and done through hard work than if its given to you. If someone is handed an apprenticeship and goes to school and gets a job, they have a good job that pays well. But at the same time someone has a part time job to pay for school and they also have an apprenticeship. The person working is going to be far more successful and happier because they worked way harder and spent everyday moving to get where they are today.

The choice and opportunity of America is the greatest reason to be proud. if you're poor, you don't have to stay poor. If you don't want to follow your parents’ career path, you don't have to. Everything is your choice.

My dad went to school for horticulture and works in the landscaping industry, and I could follow his footsteps and go to school for the same thing or I can make a choice to change that and go about my own path. I can become an electrician. I'm working with one who is a master and he's teaching me as much as he can so I am able to test into my schooling and possibly skip some of the schooling. How many places can you skip school, or not take over the family business or traditions? America is a one of a kind place with the same opportunity for everybody--you just need to make the choice and do what it takes to get there. Only in America...