Learn Our Language

This is a headline story right here! It has to be one of the top issues in the country today. I am referring to the "Press two for Spanish" issue. Why is this even an option? If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English. I mean, does the government not know that by allowing a language barrier to exist inside our country, they are potenially limiting the progression of the country. There should not be a need for any type of translator in our country. How can we be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely? "Press two for Spanish" is also one of the most annoying statements that can be uttered over the phone. Spanish is not the only problem either. It is all the gibberish and nonsense that has to be endured before actually having the opportunity to speak to a customer service officer or telephone operator. I believe that Americans need to keep it simple. Diversity is grand, but when it pertains to the language, there is a problem. I have a simple solution that will unify our country and tear down the language barrier: Learn our language or go home!

MojoStealer95 said...
May 7, 2010 at 9:06 pm:
I disagree completely, have you even been out of the country to a non-English speaking country? Have you ever learned a second language? If you've never done any of these you really have no right to say that.

weirdpeepl replied...
May 14, 2010 at 10:09 pm :
i agree with you. i've been to paris, and it's amazing how many people know english. while this is a big tourist spot, so is washington dc. why should people in another country learn english if we don't bother to learn theirs.

ZadaRox101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It's annoying, I agree, but it's our own fault. Did you know America does NOT have an official language? That's why we have things written in three or four different languages. Everyone belives English is official, just because that's what the majority speaks, but it's not.

theblazingstar101 said...
Mar. 30, 2010 at 2:30 pm:

You ask how America can be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely. Would not allowing Latinos to speak their language be going against the vary thing you ask?

And you seem to be specifically speaking about Latinos, but I ask you this: what about the deaf? the mute? the mentally disabled that cannot speak English? Should they leave the country as well?

Personally, I disagree with you. I believe that the blending of all asp... (more »)

FunXsize3 said...
Mar. 23, 2010 at 7:36 am:
The English language is one of the hardest languages. Think about it you still have to take an English class in school. I bet you don’t know what each word means. It can take years to learn the basics of English (elementary school). Why is everyone making a big deal about “press 2 for Spanish” and last time I checked there is also other people that speak other languages than English and Spanish in America.

LostAngel said...
Mar. 20, 2010 at 9:57 pm:
Ok. . . Let me pick my words carefully when commenting on this article of yours; everyone is entitled to an opinion. I believe that you are very close-minded on this topic. America is one of the most diverse countries in the world. I find it ironic that you are writing a very blunt opinion article while you are not open to other people. It's just a language; why do you care so much if people speak different then you anyways? Next will you start criticizing people with accents? And I don... (more »)

jayr831 said...
Mar. 20, 2010 at 11:19 am:
i disagree with this article because everyone has the rite to be somewhere and not learn their language if they dont want to .Highschool students can choose whatever language they want to learn based on their nationality and what languages they speak in their households and whatever they speak at their homes that should be the type of language they should learn not someones elses language .Many people around the world are the same its just we are diffrent skin types and have diffrent languages... (more »)

jayr831 said...
Mar. 20, 2010 at 11:12 am:
i disagree with this article because everyone has the rite to be somewhere and not learn their language if they dont want to .Highschool students can choose whatever language they want tot learn .It is based on their nationality and what languages they speak in their households and whatever they speak at their homes that should be the type of language they should learn not someones elses language .Many people around the world are the same its just we are diffrent skin types and have diffrent la... (more »)

Serafin Leon said...
Mar. 19, 2010 at 10:01 pm:
You should not be writing like this about the hispanic people. Stop being ignorant and think about how many hispanics live in the u.s. Their at re problebly hispanic people liveing in your town and you talk to them. There might also be a hispanic person liveing next door. Not all hispanic people are all the same. Some are educated with potential in their lives. Some hispanic people are in an adverse situation an thy come to this country for a better life. You would also do the same. You should n... (more »)

berto said...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 11:46 am:
Their is a diverse group of people who are ignorant about how difficult it is to learn a second language. I agree with the author when he says that people should learn another language. I also agree that people should learn English. However, I disagree with his argument that people who do not learn English should leave America and return to their Native countries. If he was in our position, he might have a different opinion. He would know what it felt like to be criticized and oppressed for not ... (more »)

Marcelaa said...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 11:00 am:
Your article is the most ignorant article I have read. You have no clue what us Latino's really have to face. If we came to America it was because here there is more potential fo us to succeed. Your animosity towards Latinos is nonsense baceause you are not completely surrounded by us therefore you do not understand how we truly are. Latinos are strong humans because we have the urge to come over here to get a better education in life.
America is full of diversity and you just have ... (more »)

MelissaCamacho said...
Mar. 15, 2010 at 1:42 pm:
I disagree with your opinion, Many people who want to achieve came to succeed with their family. Also they do not have the time to learn english. Many have to work in order to provide food for their family. People struggeled to get in this country and it is ignorant for you t be writing this.
While i was reading your opion made me feel alienated beacuse I come from a mexican family. My parents both came to this country to make their lives more easy and momentous. You are being extreamly... (more »)

k@t!eB@by said...
Mar. 13, 2010 at 12:24 pm:
Did you THINK when you were writing this? I mean really. I had a freind who was visiting from another country and couldn't speak english. she had to make a phone call used that "Press 2 for Spanish" it helped! We have that system for people who have just come into America or are visiting. Did you think of that? or just that everyone should speak one language? Honestly, I think people that go off about things like that are iggnorant and don't like waiting for 2 seconds while t... (more »)

JohnnyTheSilverAngel replied...
Feb. 3, 2011 at 11:24 am :
Amen for saying that dude.

Ruby Martinez said...
Mar. 8, 2010 at 12:06 am:
Your artice is the most rediculous article i have ever read. You are completley ignorant to others feelings. Reading your article made realize outside my communitiy there is so much raceisim. I strongly disagree with your opinion because i am latina and to me it is completlry fine knowing just one language. You created so much animosity in me towards you and other people out there the same or similar to you.
With your rude comments you are trying to encourage others out there to opress... (more »)

Miguel L. said...
Mar. 7, 2010 at 9:50 pm:
Why would you not want Latinos in your community they provide many of your people with fruits like strawberries. To me this brings animosity to me and many other Latinos. There are many Latinos that are facing adversity. You should not talk about my heritage like that just because your from a different heritage. This is not tolerant because there are many of my people that know how to speak English.
To me this is somewhat racism it can cause anguish to others and cause anger. I agree with... (more »)

Bree<3 said...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 2:07 pm:
While reading "learn our Language" I realized you are closed minded and I have animosity towards you. You have clearly been raised way differently than I have. People like you are ignorant and do not have a clue about latinos. Maybe where you are from, there is not many latinos. Okay, yes, maybe latinos should practice their english, but that does not give you the right to tell us to go home if we donot learn english.
Sometimes I wonder what it is like to be so closed minded and... (more »)

malursy said...
Feb. 12, 2010 at 12:30 am:
i don't completely agree with this. the "main" language is english, yes, so it's best if immigrants (illegal or not) learn the language. however, i think it'd be best if americans started expanding their horizons and learned other languages too. english isn't always going to be the "lingua franca" of the world. my friends from other countries can speak at LEAST 2 languages. my friend from morocco speaks french, arabic, and english fluently and she's l... (more »)

LearnOurLanguage replied...
Feb. 12, 2010 at 11:23 am :
I can almost agree with you. You are correct in saying that there is nothing wrong with learning about other cultures; it can be quite enlightening. Also, it would be fun to be able to communicate across a variety languages. However, that was not the point of the article. When it comes down to the functionality of society, everything would run more smoothly if people were able to communicate freely and without the impairment of a language barrier. If I were to move to Japan, it would be respectf... (more »)

MisplacedTexan14 said...
I agree. They don't have to stop speaking spanish, but if they want to prosper in America they need to learn english. Isn't it akward when you meet someone and they barely speak english? When I lived in Argentina, everyone in my family worked hard to learn the language. Being on vacation is different. What the author is talking about is living here. If I were to move to China, yes, i would try to learn the language. People in other countries don't like it when you can't under... (more »)

penguin35 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 24, 2010 at 6:44 am :
Thank you! Someone else agrees!