Learn Our Language

By Dsmit BRONZE, Luna Pier, Michigan
Dsmit BRONZE, Luna Pier, Michigan

"God hath not given me a spirit of fear, but that of power, love, and of a sound mind."

This is a headline story right here! It has to be one of the top issues in the country today. I am referring to the "Press two for Spanish" issue. Why is this even an option? If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English. I mean, does the government not know that by allowing a language barrier to exist inside our country, they are potenially limiting the progression of the country. There should not be a need for any type of translator in our country. How can we be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely? "Press two for Spanish" is also one of the most annoying statements that can be uttered over the phone. Spanish is not the only problem either. It is all the gibberish and nonsense that has to be endured before actually having the opportunity to speak to a customer service officer or telephone operator. I believe that Americans need to keep it simple. Diversity is grand, but when it pertains to the language, there is a problem. I have a simple solution that will unify our country and tear down the language barrier: Learn our language or go home!

on Oct. 19 2010 at 9:18 pm
OneBlackGirl BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

Love the difference!

Have you ever learned English? It's much more difficult to learn if your not raised in an English speaking home than any other language. Also, most hispanics I know speak better English than I, but their parents don't speak English well because (and it has been tested) learning a language is even harder as an adult. Does your parent speak a second language... do you? If not why should hispanics have to speak a second language. That's dicrimination.

Dsmit said...
on Oct. 12 2010 at 12:11 pm
Of all the people who have said, "Why English?" you are the only one who has made a valid argument.

on Oct. 5 2010 at 2:28 pm
Phantom_Girl GOLD, Ft. Carson, Colorado

"If it comes out of the lion's mouth...it will be on the test."
-Mr. Bala

Don't forget that originally, English wasn't spoken on this continent. Native American languages were the first. If the Native Americans had to learn English instead of us learning Cherokee, maybe it should be us learning Chinese instead of Chinese immigrants learning English? Just my opinion.

on Oct. 5 2010 at 2:25 pm
Phantom_Girl GOLD, Ft. Carson, Colorado

-Mr. Bala

I sort of agree with you. While I don't think people should be kicked out of the country if they can't speak English (learn our language or go home?)-I do understand that it makes things much simpler for us and for the immigrangs. Further more, I don't understand why a person would want to go to a country and not attempt to learn the most common language, but that's their choice. The only question I have is-why English? It is by no means the first language spoken in this land. Have you forgoten the Native Americans? What would happen if the Apache rose up and said "Learn our language or go back to Europe"? There language was here first, after all. And they'd have a hell of a lot more right in kicking us out.

on Sep. 9 2010 at 8:19 pm
SlightlySarcastic BRONZE, Livonia, Michigan

"You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world... but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices." - John Green

"... by allowing a language barrier to exist inside our country, they are potentially limiting the progression of the country."

While I agree that a language barrier can impede progress, there's one hitch in your position. Why should everyone learn English? Or rather, why just English? How many people do you know who were born in English-speaking households that can speak a second language? I've been to a school in France where they start learning a second language at the age of ten, and I stayed with an Austrian family for five days and spent time with a fourteen and a fifteen year old who spoke English as well as I do, and better than half the people you see on the internet. Why does the solution have to be that everyone else must conform to our standards? America is supposed to be the Melting Pot. We blend together bits of every culture in our music and our art, and English itself is made up of bits and pieces from other languages (Which, by the way, is what makes it hard to learn.) Why can't we try to meet the rest of the world halfway, instead of cutting ourselves off by insisting that everyone speak English? 

I must add one more point as well - from your article, it sounds like the only reason you brought up the issue is because customer service recordings and telephone operators have options for other languages. The thought that it inhibits progress seems to come second to that. Just so you know, if two is Spanish, one is probably English. Just press the button.

on Aug. 5 2010 at 6:20 pm
earlybird_8 BRONZE, Roberts Creek, Other

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

While I do agree that it's important for everyone to be able to communicate with each other, I don't believe that people should "learn our language or go home". Technically, America took over a huge chunk of Mexico, where they speak Spanish, a century or two ago. Should people who spoke spanish have been forced to learn a new language just because the people who spoke it had a bigger army? I understand that this was a long time ago, but take Canada as an example. Both the English and French settled there, but they managed to set aside their differences (admittedly they had to fight a lot first) and now the country has two official languages, and a large portion of the population is bilingual. I think that the this would be a good way for the US to go. Although, what undermines your argument is that the English isn't the official language of the united states because the people who founded the country wanted to be open to other cultures, so this entire post goes against the spirit of the constitution.

annalena224 said...
on Aug. 2 2010 at 2:19 pm
I agree with you, Losing but not Lost. Not to mention the fact that it's totally racist. Racism never goes away, it just changes colors as opportunity arises. People are just so ignorant, everybody comes from somewhere. WE stole this land from the Native Americans. It's US that were to learn their language. So much for calling the U.S. the melting pot of the world....

on Jul. 30 2010 at 6:37 pm
SocialCollision SILVER, Hampton, Georgia

\"When we\'re taught to love everyone, to love our enemies, What value does that place on love?\" Marilyn Manson

Your bringing up a nice topic, BUT I have to disagree with you. It's their problem if they don't learn English. We are just as responsible to learn Spanish as they are to learn English!! When we know that more Hispanics are coming into the States, we should automatically realize that we should all have BASIC knowledge on each others language!  

on Jul. 28 2010 at 11:35 am
♥♫music4ever25♥♫, Phoenix, Arizona

shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars! :)

hmmm this makes sence, to a point. if someone was in our nation for a long time (let's say 10 years or more) and have therefore become a citizen and has a job, then yes, they need to learn our languge not only for our benefit and there's. this is not to say that english is the only languge they can speak. However if someone has been here maybe a year then truth be told that could be an extreme request.

on Jul. 15 2010 at 3:06 pm
ayesha1208 BRONZE, Weslaco, Texas

"It is our choices that make us what we truly are, Harry, rather than our abilities."
- Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

I think the article might have been better written if you had supported your opinion with facts. I won't tell you whether I agree or disagree with the opinion because that is irrelevant. However, the writing concerns me. Some concrete facts might have given the argument a better spine. Just my two cents.

on Jul. 1 2010 at 10:46 pm
MCRlover2011 BRONZE, Kemp, Texas

Be yourself, don't take any one's (ugh they keep editing this T_T) shit and never let them take you alive!!!- Gerard Way

I'm 50/50 on this i really am some days i'm pro learn english and other days i'm like eh it's a hard language to learn...

taco5 SILVER said...
on Jun. 4 2010 at 12:25 am
taco5 SILVER, Palo Alto, California

"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing at all," -Helen Keller

Are you criticizing immigrants that don't learn English, or the telephone help system? 

on May. 14 2010 at 10:09 pm
weirdpeepl BRONZE, Catonsville, Maryland

what's normal?

i agree with you. i've been to paris, and it's amazing how many people know english. while this is a big tourist spot, so is washington dc. why should people in another country learn english if we don't bother to learn theirs.

on May. 11 2010 at 8:20 pm
amelia.adams246 BRONZE, North Richland Hills, Texas

In the end, a friend is someone that cares and doesn’t judge. A friend loves, laughs, and helps you through the hard times with hugs and smiles. A friend comforts with words or sometimes just an ear.

I have to be 100% honest, I think that you have to be one of the most narrow minded and arrogant people in America. This nation was built on the idea of everyone having equal rights, democracy, freedom, and a the idea of a melting pot. If it were not for the immigrants during the like 1880s or so...America would be almost nothing because while the rich white man ran the nation, it was the immigrants who didn't speak English that were the motor to the nation. It is still the same way today. Immigrants are still here doing our dirty work for less than what they should be paid just to feed their families because the average people in America wont do those jobs. So who cares if they don't speak English...they are what makes America keep running the way it does. 

on May. 7 2010 at 9:06 pm
MojoStealer95 BRONZE, Amherst, Virginia

"Sitting in an English Garden waiting for the sun, if the sun don't come you get a tan from standing in the English rain. I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus! Goo goo g'joob.

I disagree completely, have you even been out of the country to a non-English speaking country? Have you ever learned a second language? If you've never done any of these you really have no right to say that.

TheJust ELITE said...
on Apr. 8 2010 at 2:33 pm
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

It's annoying, I agree, but it's our own fault. Did you know America does NOT have an official language? That's why we have things written in three or four different languages. Everyone belives English is official, just because that's what the majority speaks, but it's not.

on Mar. 30 2010 at 2:30 pm
theblazingstar101 GOLD, Foley, Alabama

You ask how America can be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely. Would not allowing Latinos to speak their language be going against the vary thing you ask?

And you seem to be specifically speaking about Latinos, but I ask you this: what about the deaf? the mute? the mentally disabled that cannot speak English? Should they leave the country as well?

Personally, I disagree with you. I believe that the blending of all aspects of culture is what America represents. I agree that learning English would be good, but what about Americans? I think we ought to have some initiative to make an effort and learn other languages. Most countries teach their children to be billingual from birth. Is America too good to be billingual?

And if you think about it, the more Americans that speak Spanish, the more we can communicate with other countries and the more we can help those immigrants learn English.

And while I disagree with your points, I understand and respect your point of view. However, if you are going to write an article about the subject, I think it needs to be better written. You don't actually show any evidence to prove your claims, and you seem to be specifically targeting a certain group. Or have you never listened to an entire phone recording? Because I've heard 'Press one for English',  'Press two for Spanish', 'Press three for French'. But you're not addressing the issue that way. You seem to be treating it as an issue merely between Latinos and Americans.

And has it ever occurred to you that maybe the business asking the question does business in places other than the USA?

on Mar. 23 2010 at 7:36 am
FunXsize3 BRONZE, Honey Brook, Pennsylvania

"Life is like a box of choclates"

The English language is one of the hardest languages. Think about it you still have to take an English class in school. I bet you don’t know what each word means. It can take years to learn the basics of English (elementary school). Why is everyone making a big deal about “press 2 for Spanish” and last time I checked there is also other people that speak other languages than English and Spanish in America.

on Mar. 20 2010 at 9:57 pm
LostAngel DIAMOND, Jersey, New Jersey

"Just live your life, if people don't like the way you are doing it then they can get out of it" "if you can't stand me at my worst you dont deserve me at my best"

Ok. . . Let me pick my words carefully when commenting on this article of yours; everyone is entitled to an opinion. I believe that you are very close-minded on this topic. America is one of the most diverse countries in the world. I find it ironic that you are writing a very blunt opinion article while you are not open to other people. It's just a language; why do you care so much if people speak different then you anyways? Next will you start criticizing people with accents? And I don't understand why you are even just focusing on the Spanish language in this, there are many other languages that are spoken in America other than Spanish; which by the way I think is a wonderful language even though my primary language is English. You must think about your family history. When your ancestors came over from another country think of how much your life would be different if they were turned away for not speaking English. The primary language is English in this country I understand, but what if that changes? Due to the fact that more and more people come to America each and every day and most of them who speak Spanish, Spanish could easily become the primary language. Then it would say "Press 2 for English." How would you feel about that? Then there would be a lot of people telling you to learn their language "or go back home." I doubt you would listen to them. . .

jayr831 said...
on Mar. 20 2010 at 11:19 am
i disagree with this article because everyone has the rite to be somewhere and not learn their language if they dont want to .Highschool students can choose whatever language they want to learn based on their nationality and what languages they speak in their households and whatever they speak at their homes that should be the type of language they should learn not someones elses language .Many people around the world are the same its just we are diffrent skin types and have diffrent languages then others this does not mean that we are pessimistic human beings.

in my point of view you should have expressed yourself in a less disrespectful way and have more respect towards other races.if you understood the diffuculties that other people go through you may have change in your opinion .People who do not speak english feel oppressed for not being able to communicate with others .People in the U.S try their best to be successful with their own customs .My expierences to learn english was fairly easy due to my family ,but i i understand what other people go through to be here in the U.S .

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!