Learn Our Language

This is a headline story right here! It has to be one of the top issues in the country today. I am referring to the "Press two for Spanish" issue. Why is this even an option? If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English. I mean, does the government not know that by allowing a language barrier to exist inside our country, they are potenially limiting the progression of the country. There should not be a need for any type of translator in our country. How can we be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely? "Press two for Spanish" is also one of the most annoying statements that can be uttered over the phone. Spanish is not the only problem either. It is all the gibberish and nonsense that has to be endured before actually having the opportunity to speak to a customer service officer or telephone operator. I believe that Americans need to keep it simple. Diversity is grand, but when it pertains to the language, there is a problem. I have a simple solution that will unify our country and tear down the language barrier: Learn our language or go home!

♥♫music4ever25♥♫ said...
Jul. 28, 2010 at 11:35 am
hmmm this makes sence, to a point. if someone was in our nation for a long time (let's say 10 years or more) and have therefore become a citizen and has a job, then yes, they need to learn our languge not only for our benefit and there's. this is not to say that english is the only languge they can speak. However if someone has been here maybe a year then truth be told that could be an extreme request.

ayesha1208 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I think the article might have been better written if you had supported your opinion with facts. I won't tell you whether I agree or disagree with the opinion because that is irrelevant. However, the writing concerns me. Some concrete facts might have given the argument a better spine. Just my two cents.

MCRlover2011 said...
I'm 50/50 on this i really am some days i'm pro learn english and other days i'm like eh it's a hard language to learn...

iloverain This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:25 am
Are you criticizing immigrants that don't learn English, or the telephone help system? 

losing_but_not_lost246 said...
I have to be 100% honest, I think that you have to be one of the most narrow minded and arrogant people in America. This nation was built on the idea of everyone having equal rights, democracy, freedom, and a the idea of a melting pot. If it were not for the immigrants during the like 1880s or so...America would be almost nothing because while the rich white man ran the nation, it was the immigrants who didn't speak English that were the motor to the nation. It is still the same w... (more »)

annalena224 replied...
I agree with you, Losing but not Lost. Not to mention the fact that it's totally racist. Racism never goes away, it just changes colors as opportunity arises. People are just so ignorant, everybody comes from somewhere. WE stole this land from the Native Americans. It's US that were to learn their language. So much for calling the U.S. the melting pot of the world....

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Don't forget that originally, English wasn't spoken on this continent. Native American languages were the first. If the Native Americans had to learn English instead of us learning Cherokee, maybe it should be us learning Chinese instead of Chinese immigrants learning English? Just my opinion.

susu.ali replied...
Oct. 27, 2010 at 9:01 am
i agree too...i'm surprised whoevr wrote this article is languageist (language racist lol) i speak too languages, i am a child of immigrants. i love this country and my home Somalia (in east Afirca) i was lucky becasue i learned somali first, than english before i started preshchool. i would just ask the author. what if you moved to Italy of Indonesia or South Afirca how would you liked it if ppl told you learn the language or get out???

MojoStealer95 said...
I disagree completely, have you even been out of the country to a non-English speaking country? Have you ever learned a second language? If you've never done any of these you really have no right to say that.

weirdpeepl replied...
i agree with you. i've been to paris, and it's amazing how many people know english. while this is a big tourist spot, so is washington dc. why should people in another country learn english if we don't bother to learn theirs.

ZadaRox101 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It's annoying, I agree, but it's our own fault. Did you know America does NOT have an official language? That's why we have things written in three or four different languages. Everyone belives English is official, just because that's what the majority speaks, but it's not.

theblazingstar101 said...

You ask how America can be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely. Would not allowing Latinos to speak their language be going against the vary thing you ask?

And you seem to be specifically speaking about Latinos, but I ask you this: what about the deaf? the mute? the mentally disabled that cannot speak English? Should they leave the country as well?

Personally, I disagree with you. I believe that the blending of all asp... (more »)

FunXsize3 said...
Mar. 23, 2010 at 7:36 am
The English language is one of the hardest languages. Think about it you still have to take an English class in school. I bet you don’t know what each word means. It can take years to learn the basics of English (elementary school). Why is everyone making a big deal about “press 2 for Spanish” and last time I checked there is also other people that speak other languages than English and Spanish in America.

LostAngel said...
Ok. . . Let me pick my words carefully when commenting on this article of yours; everyone is entitled to an opinion. I believe that you are very close-minded on this topic. America is one of the most diverse countries in the world. I find it ironic that you are writing a very blunt opinion article while you are not open to other people. It's just a language; why do you care so much if people speak different then you anyways? Next will you start criticizing people with accents? And I don... (more »)

jayr831 said...
Mar. 20, 2010 at 11:19 am
i disagree with this article because everyone has the rite to be somewhere and not learn their language if they dont want to .Highschool students can choose whatever language they want to learn based on their nationality and what languages they speak in their households and whatever they speak at their homes that should be the type of language they should learn not someones elses language .Many people around the world are the same its just we are diffrent skin types and have diffrent languages... (more »)

jayr831 said...
Mar. 20, 2010 at 11:12 am
i disagree with this article because everyone has the rite to be somewhere and not learn their language if they dont want to .Highschool students can choose whatever language they want tot learn .It is based on their nationality and what languages they speak in their households and whatever they speak at their homes that should be the type of language they should learn not someones elses language .Many people around the world are the same its just we are diffrent skin types and have diffrent la... (more »)

Serafin Leon said...
You should not be writing like this about the hispanic people. Stop being ignorant and think about how many hispanics live in the u.s. Their at re problebly hispanic people liveing in your town and you talk to them. There might also be a hispanic person liveing next door. Not all hispanic people are all the same. Some are educated with potential in their lives. Some hispanic people are in an adverse situation an thy come to this country for a better life. You would also do the same. You should n... (more »)

berto said...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 11:46 am
Their is a diverse group of people who are ignorant about how difficult it is to learn a second language. I agree with the author when he says that people should learn another language. I also agree that people should learn English. However, I disagree with his argument that people who do not learn English should leave America and return to their Native countries. If he was in our position, he might have a different opinion. He would know what it felt like to be criticized and oppressed for not ... (more »)

Marcelaa said...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 11:00 am
Your article is the most ignorant article I have read. You have no clue what us Latino's really have to face. If we came to America it was because here there is more potential fo us to succeed. Your animosity towards Latinos is nonsense baceause you are not completely surrounded by us therefore you do not understand how we truly are. Latinos are strong humans because we have the urge to come over here to get a better education in life.
America is full of diversity and you just have ... (more »)

MelissaCamacho said...
I disagree with your opinion, Many people who want to achieve came to succeed with their family. Also they do not have the time to learn english. Many have to work in order to provide food for their family. People struggeled to get in this country and it is ignorant for you t be writing this.
While i was reading your opion made me feel alienated beacuse I come from a mexican family. My parents both came to this country to make their lives more easy and momentous. You are being extreamly... (more »)