Learn Our Language

This is a headline story right here! It has to be one of the top issues in the country today. I am referring to the "Press two for Spanish" issue. Why is this even an option? If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English. I mean, does the government not know that by allowing a language barrier to exist inside our country, they are potenially limiting the progression of the country. There should not be a need for any type of translator in our country. How can we be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely? "Press two for Spanish" is also one of the most annoying statements that can be uttered over the phone. Spanish is not the only problem either. It is all the gibberish and nonsense that has to be endured before actually having the opportunity to speak to a customer service officer or telephone operator. I believe that Americans need to keep it simple. Diversity is grand, but when it pertains to the language, there is a problem. I have a simple solution that will unify our country and tear down the language barrier: Learn our language or go home!

kaceykat said...
I understand what you are saying, and yes in the beginning, it may be hard to learn to read Chinese or Japanese... but, in the English language we have many rules and exceptions to the rules that can be confusing to those who don't know our language. And, even the adults who have lived in America all thier life, are still learning new words.

DeathAngel said...
Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:03 am:
I do not want to sound rude. English not my mother tongue. Is hard in school because no one speaks Russian. I have not many friends because people like you say much mean things about me. I try speak English and type but I not get right all time. I try hard but everyone speak down to me like I stupid. I try to appeale to you demands but still I have no respect. I am not stupid. I am proud to say I try learn English but I never be close to perfect. I sorry if is hard to read. I type best I can.

patricia216 replied...
Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:30 pm :
You're doing a great job with English right now. Continue to learn grammar and read as much as you can and I promise that you will improve!

Phillies_Fan4Ever said...
This is true.  If you live in America you should know English.  I found the aritcle well written and it made me want to keep reading.

Ms.Alice replied...
Jan. 6 at 5:59 pm :
You do realise that English isn't even Americas official language? Also most of the people living in America are moving there because the conditions in their own country aren't livable? Not to mention that English is one of the hardest languages to learn, and most of these people are having to learn in from scratch, it isn't as simple as just going to take a class. Plus America is made mostly of imigrants, but you know "learn the language or go home" right?

kaceykat said...
English is one of the hardest, if not the hardest, language to learn in the world. Most people come to America for the Freedom that our country provides, by making one national language, you take away the freedom of the people. You can't just make one language. What if you and your family lived somewhere and there was a war there, you want to get out of the country as fast as possible, and you want to go to ,lets say, Japan because you have always wanted to live there. Lets say when you get ... (more »)

AisuP replied...
Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:58 pm :
Actually, I have to say Chinese is the hardest because its alphabet is COMPLETELY hieroglyphic, and has all of the different tones and just makes me feel like fainting. To go from Spanish to English is much easier, you don't have to learn a completely different alphabet than your own, like trying to learn Japanese if your first language was English (I've tried this and it's hard, especially if you're teaching yourself). And a lot of words in English have similar roots to those in... (more »)

kaceykat replied...
Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:20 pm :
I understand what you are saying, and yes in the beginning, it may be hard to learn to read Chinese or Japanese... but, in the English language we have many rules and exceptions to the rules that can be confusing to those who don't know our language. And, even the adults who have lived in America all their life, are still learning new words.

AisuP replied...
Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:22 pm :
Well, the issue of Americans not knowing proper English is a completely different story, but it's not like they don't know enough to order food at a restaurant or talk to a receptionist on the phone. The problem with American English is, well... let's not go there... My views on America are so self-contradictory...

Emivi said...
I understand what you are saying but i don't really think that it is an issue. I mean how many times a day do you really not u derstand someone lse because they speak another langauge.

Phillies_Fan4Ever said...
This is true.  If you are an American citizen, you should be able to speak the language.  This article was funny and made me want to keep reading. 

TaylorG said...
i agree with you. If people really want to live here then they should take the time to learn our language. If they don't then they can only communicate to the people that speak the same language as them, not the rest of our country

Delilah C. said...
I see your point, but most people won't be willing to just throw away their culture and language just to make it easier on Americans. If you were forced to move to another country and learn a completely new, foreign language, you probably wonuldn't be very happy.

Goalychik said...
That is a great point! Many people come into our country thinking that they can just waltz in and make it....WRONG! They should take time to learn our language. They obviously came to America to be an American...LEARN OUR LANGUAGE!

Catherine2564 said...
I too believe that we should all learn how to speak English because only does it make it easier on foregins, it makes it easier on us.  For instance, when we call for technical help, we normally are given a person who has a foreign accent.  Not only is it frustrating, you can't get what you needed.

Lolzz said...
I think that people that come to america should atleast get a chance to learn english. Even if that means you could have a little discomfort until they learn it. But I do admit english should still be the first language you hear when calling a company.

FFjj replied...
Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:56 pm :
I disagree. Therefore you are wrong.

anomynous said...
English is a hard language to learn. In fact, russian is much easier and russian looks completely ailien. I'll admit my english is not perfect either and I live in the states.

hawleybassplayer said...
A lot of the thoughts circulating throughout here are really inconsiderate. Learning a second language, especially as an adult, is extraordinarily hard, and English is one of the hardest languages to learn. For people immigrating to this country, most of whom do end up learning English to some degree, the measures we take to provide Spanish or other translations make the transition to living here possible. Think about how hard it must be to uproot yourself and move to a country where you can'... (more »)

samanthaaa replied...
Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:45 am :
Preach it :)