Mail on Sunday, Reply Letter | Teen Ink

Mail on Sunday, Reply Letter

By Lauren56382 BRONZE, Bradford, Other
Lauren56382 BRONZE, Bradford, Other

"if you don't like the road your walking on, start paving a new one"

Dear Mr P Hitchens,

After reading, your fascinating article on gun ownership, I feel it is important to express my Ernest and sincere opinions on this emotive subject. I found your points to be memorable, appealing and thought provoking. Undoubtedly your opinions are both persuasive and believable, indeed I found I was unable to tear my eyes away the page and felt compelled to finish it. I understand your particular views on gun ownership, and I realise that you are passionate about British citizens and their rights. However, Mr. Hitchens I find, that I simply cannot agree with you. 

I'd like to draw your attention to the first point you make in your article. You mention that British citizens, "run squawking from the subject of gun ownership." By using the animalistic verb "squawking" your intention is to scare the public. Ridiculous!  You give the impression that we are terrified of lethal weapons and cannot seem to behave appropriately when the subject is mentioned. This is preposterous Mr Hitchens. We don't all have one mind, we all have different opinions and so we should. The British public are not to terrified to talk about guns sensibly. You go on to say" Yet criminals, who care nothing for laws can and do easily obtain guns and ammunition." Here you are clumsily presenting speculation as a fact. The word "easily" is a vain attempt at persuading the reader to agree with your over exaggerated speculation. Do you really believe criminals obtain weapons so readily?

Moving on, you then mention the English Bill Of Rights which you say "enshrines the right of subjects to have arms." Here the powerful verb "enshrines" gives the impression that English law is powerful and strongly agrees that people should be aloud to carry and use weapons. This reference impresses the reader and suggests that we should adhere to old fashioned values. However, that was then, this is now. And have we not moved on? You then go on to say "Criminals feel safer and more powerful when they are not likely to face any armed resistance". How do you know have you asked them all? Your intention here was to make us all feel afraid you foolishly presented your opinion as a fact.

You then state, "I do not feel a free citizen until I have these rights" the key idea here is that you do not feel like a free person whilst you are bared from carrying a gun. The implication here is that free citizens are only truly free if they are able to kill other citizens. If people were able to carry deadly weapons this would lead to mass killings. Mr Hitchens 51%of the British population say NO to own a gun even for defence. I hope you feel guilty now. Gun ownership this is fatal. You make the readers feel, pressured, embarrassed and shocked by the remarks you're listing! Lastly MR HITCHENS, Another remark you listed that caught my eye was the statement "Guns do not mean more people getting hurt, But they would make criminals think before they do anything stupid." I strongly disagree with you because the research I have read through shows it is a appalling idea. Guns in the world are usually used for homicides and mass killings! Do you want this? Guns are Terrible: Daunting and chilling!!

In conclusion, Most of the British citizens would not like the rights to carry or even own a hand gun. These weapons lead to mass killings and deaths which we ever planned on accidental then will decrease the population. The UK has one of the lowest rates of gun homicides in the world... Do you really want that to change?

You're sincerely,

Lauren D.

This is my opinion on the  subject of being legaly aloud to carry firearms