Depression | Teen Ink

Depression

August 6, 2014
By bayleejess6 BRONZE, Helensvale, Other
bayleejess6 BRONZE, Helensvale, Other
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Falling in love is like falling asleep, slowly then all at once. - The Fault in Our Stars


Depression sucks, putting it bluntly. It sucks that a person can feel so low about something that they feel so… sad. Sad isn’t the right word though. If you’ve suffered depression, or you’re just reading this article for some insight, you can’t label how you feel as sadness. Yes, sadness comes into the picture but you can’t just say you constantly feel sad. It feels more like emptiness. You don’t feel anything. Your movements feel robotic, the smiles are forced and you just feel empty yet heavy. Have you ever seen something and you just don’t feel anything for? Kind of like you see yellow and typically you think for feel happy, or you see blue and it relates back to sadness. Have you ever seen black though? Just a plain black piece of paper. It doesn’t make you feel excited or cheerful. It doesn’t make you feel sad or angry though either. If anything you may feel slightly anxious but most likely not. You just feel nothing. Like an empty box, filled with nothing but compacted air. Empty yet heavy. That’s how being depressed feels. You just kind of feel empty and lonely. Loneliness is also a big factor in depression. It’s really hard to explain but although your parents love and there for you, your best friend is always there for you as well but you just feel lonely. Generally something causes depression. If you’ve lost a beloved person, getting bullied or have been neglected by your parents you may have a mild to severe form of depression (yes there are different cases). In some rare cases nothing has caused a person’s depression but usually an event or series of events has led up to the person being depressed. If you believe in fate that plays a part in it. If you’re depressed for no reason, maybe you’re not living how you are supposed to be living. Overall depression is different. It’s hard to describe yet easy to feel.


The author's comments:
A lot of teens face this daily. Here's some insight.