Violence Revealed | Teen Ink

Violence Revealed

July 6, 2014
By EllakGale GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
EllakGale GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
16 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for." -Johnny Depp


“On August 28, in Bronx New York, a car chase rolled onto I 95. A man and a woman in an SUV were smashed of the road and flipped over. The shove came from a man driving a green cab. When the car had crashed, the man stepped out of his vehicle with a knife in hand. He walked up to the SUV, opened the door and stabbed the woman to death.” The New York Times reported this on August 28. They vaguely describe the assault and the only pictures shown were of the wrecked cars. The reporter left out specific information about the attack and there were no pictures of the woman after she was killed. When will people stop sugarcoating reality?

Events like this happen every single day. Murder, kidnapping, and small things, such as swear words in pop songs, but the media refuse to let it out publicly. We have all seen violence, and for regulators to put all of it into a little box and pick out the pieces they feel are okay to reveal-is wrong. For instance, many songs on the radio have curse words in them. The radio decides to silence those words or change the lyrics to get rid of them. I am aware that children of a certain age shouldn’t be exposed to that type of language. Parents won’t let them listen to foul music but they allow kids to roam freely around stores or even on streets, where people swear and say very rude and offensive things, sometimes much worse than pop songs.

Violent acts are swarming around neighborhoods, stores; even peoples’ homes are not safe. Every year 3.3 million reports of child abuse are made in the United States involving nearly 6 million children. That is in the United States-ALONE. The news will sometimes report about this, they will show a few bruises and describe the parent, but some cases are more than a few bruises and scrapes. More than five children die every day as a result of child abuse. Approximately 80% of children that die from abuse are under the age of 4. Child abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level, across ethnic and cultural lines, within all religions and at all levels of education. The news doesn’t say anything about that ever.

The US doesn’t stand alone in this. Europe and India have done the exact same thing. Europe doesn’t even report about the individual crimes, it focuses on the worldly issues. And India hides everything. There are several articles on women being attacked and raped in there homes or even hospitals, but the only images shown are perpetrators with bags on their heads or they just show the back sides of the criminals and the victims. It happens everywhere.

Maybe if the media allowed us to see the whole truth about violence, we wouldn’t be so violent ourselves. Maybe that’s what we need, we need to really be affected by the violent crimes that happen today. We need to learn the consequences of being hateful and abusive, it will change our opinions as a group on how to be civilized.

If there is a murder, let us see it. If there is a robbery let us see it. If someone is kidnapped, let us see it. If a child is abused, let us see it. Let us see and recognize the cause and affect reaction to violence. Let us know the truth.


The author's comments:
This was a speech I wrote about how media continues to hide violence behind sugar coated words and twists on stories, but if I see violence every day, why can't regulators show it publicly on TV or Radio.