The Beauty of Arrogance and the Horrors of Narcissism | Teen Ink

The Beauty of Arrogance and the Horrors of Narcissism

By choichoi1014 BRONZE, Englewood, New Jersey
choichoi1014 BRONZE, Englewood, New Jersey

On a recent Dr. Phil episode, a young woman who was twenty eight years old, confessed that she did want to have children since this would ruin her figure. She carried a mirror with her wherever she went, which she used to make sure that she looked as good as possible at all times. She was in love with herself, and because she was so selfish and obsessed with her physical figure, she aborted twelve of her fetuses. This is an obvious example of Narcissism, which is not only harmful to the narcissist but is also harmful to those around him or her. David Beckham, on the other hand, is a beautiful soccer player who knows how good looking he is. Even though he is self aware of his beauty, he is not obsessed with it.

There is a fine line between people who are self aware of their own beauty and people who are narcissistic. It is fine for a person to know to what extent one’s beauty lies. There is nothing wrong with a male or female who is confident and self assured about his or her’s looks. In fact, people who are confident tend to have an air about them that persuades people into thinking that they are, in fact beautiful, when they might not be. There is no problem with a male who might be a bit arrogant about his looks, just as there is no problem with a female who knows that she is beautiful. One can think that they are ugly, so why can’t one think one is beautiful?

Narcissism is quite different from self awareness. Narcissists are people who only think of their own beauty 24/7. Nothing else matters to narcissists. Though a person who is self aware may think that they are beautiful, a narcissist will think that they are the most beautiful person in the world. Narcissism is when a male or female tends to exaggerate his or her own beauty in his or her own minds, to the point that they do not seem beautiful to anyone else. Narcissists are more than just vain or conceited, narcissists are truly in love with themselves.

There is no fault with a person who is self aware of their beauty and knows how their beauty effects other people. However, when one is in love with one’s looks and that is the only thing they can think about, it tends to be quite aggravating and annoying to the people who surround that narcissist. Confidence, however,is a valued trait that everybody should strive to possess; Narcissism is a disease that can leave a soul when treated with large amounts of therapy. It is good for a person to know if they are beautiful or not. However, when one is obsessed with him or herself and has no consideration for the people who are around them, then it becomes narcissism, and narcissism is not valued in any society.

Many people mistake self awareness for narcissism