Rumors | Teen Ink

Rumors

May 14, 2014
By -emma- GOLD, Miami, Florida
-emma- GOLD, Miami, Florida
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I'm like a child who belongs to nobody
~Lana Del Rey~


Rumors spread in high school, just like wildfires spread in the forest, expeditiously. Trees become fed to the fire so that the fire can keep enlarging. As more and more people become entangled with rumors, the rumors keep spreading from one ear to another. With out trees in the forest, the fire cannot expand, just like without people, rumors cannot spread.

People will gossip and perpetuate rumors about others. Sometimes their worst enemies, other times their very own friends. Just like Prey Mantis will eat their own species but will also cooperate with each other as a working community. A sign of two faces. Rumors come from the most vein, most cruel, most insecure. They indulge in the feeling of putting one down in order to make themselves look better to others.

Spiders spin their own web to create a transparent illusion so their prey will fall right into the trap. People spin their own rumors to set a trap for attention, popularity, security, and even friends. Rumors ruin someone to better oneself. High school is full of this vicious cycle. It tires you out and makes you truly think who is really there for you. Because some of your friends will betray you by believing it, others will be your moral support by sticking by your side.

Everyone tells you to ignore it and look past the rumors. Don’t let them get to you, you are better than that, that isn’t true so ignore it. It’s easier said than done. When a rumor is about you, you feel humiliated, belittled. As if no matter what you say can change the false image they have casted upon you. Turtles tuck themselves into their shells when they have fear of something. They shut themselves away and escape what they fear the most.

We use isolation from human interaction as a shell to escape the embarrassment. This only serves as temporary satisfaction. You can’t run away from your problem because it will be there when you go back. Also, it makes it look like there is truth behind the rumor, giving you the illusion of looking worse. So you ask what you should do? Grab the bull by its horns.

Face your problem because remember, no matter how heated and twisted it is, nothing lasts forever. People will forget because something else will occur with other people because that is the nature of high school. And the truth always seeks its way out of the grave. Just like spirits rise, the truth will too.


The author's comments:
I wrote this article because as a high school student not only do i see rumors spreading about others, as well as myself. Remember if you are stuck in a hard place and a rock, keep in mind that nothing lasts forever.