Are We Still Making the Same SEXIST Mistakes as our Forefathers? | Teen Ink

Are We Still Making the Same SEXIST Mistakes as our Forefathers?

May 3, 2014
By PinkPanther123 SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey
PinkPanther123 SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey
8 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
We make our own fairy-tales
-Gossip girl

Destiny is stupid.Its just a stupid excuse for waiting for things to happen instead of making them happen.
-Gossip girl

Hope for the best prepare for the worst
-Divergent


Since the beginning of history....sexism has been a prominent indestructible barrier between the two sexes; male and female. The notion that women aren't as 'high' as men, has been imprinted into history. Sexism although slowly fading today is still prominently there. Men being viewed as the superiority is still in notion today. Woman are to be just viewed as 'pretty and stupid.' We can still currently see sexism in society in many different areas.

Firstly, is we can prominently notice sexism in the job industry, According to statistics from ‘catalyst.com’, woman's yearly income is estimated to $37,000 as opposed to the males income of $50,000. Although in society this may not seem as a big difference, the impacted gender seems to think it’s unfair. Most successful people who received the most opportunities are men. Another common overlooked area of the job industry is our own federal government. How it is there has not been a single female president in the United States yet? How is it 90% of the lawmakers of the congress are male? The answer is simple. Our 'modern society' isn't so modern. If we had definite equality between genders then these wouldn't be problems. Although the era of 'mad men' has passed woman still aren't treated as fair as men.

Secondly, is the lenient criminal justice system towards gender? Many reports show that women have a less lenient punishment as opposed to men. As written in the Huffington post, “A new study by Sonja Starr, an assistant law professor at the University of Michigan, found that men are given much higher sentences than women convicted of the same crimes in federal court. The study found that men receive sentences that are 63 percent higher, on average, than their female counterparts." We can vividly notice the unfair sexist punishment just based on someone's gender. This is just one incident of sexism in society. People receive unfair punishment just because of there gender.

Ultimately, sexism will somehow always worm itself back into society. Since the olden times women were viewed in many stereotypical ways. We can even notice this from a majority of Disney movies. For example, in 'Snow White' the main princess is viewed as a pretty, dressed up and nicely groomed figure with an interest in 'feminine' activities. The same applies to 'The Beauty and the Beast’, ‘Cinderella' and much more. Overall, sexism is one of the main flaws of society.


The author's comments:
These are some of my true feelings of society. Why are we making the same mistakes as our fore fathers? Its been almost a century from when sexism was at its 'peak.' Why haven't we evolved?