Same sex marriages should be legalized | Teen Ink

Same sex marriages should be legalized

By taslee BRONZE, West Babylon, New York
taslee BRONZE, West Babylon, New York

A big social issue in the United States today is the question whether same sex marriages should be legal or not. Many people have strong opinions on this topic but I think same sex marriages should be legal in every state. People argue that being homosexual is not moral and God does not approve of it. I believe that people like who they like. I was taught that God loves everyone equally. Love is love. Homosexual couples should be able to flaunt their love just as heterosexual couples do. It is no one’s business. Also people argue that they should not have to pay tax dollars to something they do not support (Gay marriages). We are taxed for pretty much everything. People put money towards things they do not support every day, I do not see the difference now. Certain people in America think that same sex marriage would weaken the institution of marriage. That has been proven false in Massachusetts. “Massachusetts, which became the first state to legalize gay marriage on May 17, 2004, had the lowest divorce rate in the country in 2008. Its divorce rate declined 21% between 2003 and 2008” (http://gaymarriage.procon.org/). Historically, same sex marriage is protected by the Constitution. In a traditional household, a child is supposed to be raised by a man and a woman. But every household is not like that. I was raised in a household with just my mother. According to the Single Parenthood in the United States chart, in 2013, 55% of the children in single parent families were living with a parent who was separated, divorced, or widowed, 45% with a never-married parent. I think another reason why people do not want same sex marriage legalized is because they think homosexuals will teach children that ‘gay’ is the way to live. When it comes to raising children, whether you are straight or gay, parents all around have the same responsibility to raise and support their child. The problem with people in the United States is they are so brainwashed. They believe that all things should go one way and any other way is not right. The United States would benefit if they legalized same sex marriages. Same sex marriages promote equality and opens economic and business opportunities. In a Gay Marriage article, it was said that same sex marriage benefits life insurance, child support, taxes, medical needs, etc. Lorraine Mae Rafferty, who is seeking the Republican nomination for governor of Oregon, did a four minute interview saying that gay marriage is the same as murder. What harm are homosexual people doing to hurt or kill anybody else? If our President Obama can support same sex marriages, why cannot everybody else? The pros and the cons of a straight sex marriage are the same as a gay marriage.