The Struggle | Teen Ink

The Struggle

April 4, 2014
By ghor14 BRONZE, Papillion, Nebraska
ghor14 BRONZE, Papillion, Nebraska
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Guys and girls are very different from one another, and I think this is an obvious situation that everyone can see. Not only are they different sexes but they have very different interests. Girls like playing with dolls and “drinking tea”; while guys like sports, and doing activities. Even with the very different interests, both guys and girls are equally judgemental about one another. Unfortunately, guys don’t have the fraudulent disguises that girls have. If guys are born ugly, they remain ugly.

Girls have the benefit of an invention called makeup. No doubt males are able to benefit from it as well, but it’s just not the most masculine thing. Whenever zits appear, or any little blemish arises, girls have the pleasure to be able to cover it up like nothing even happened. Unlike my situation, if I get a tiny zit, the whole school suffers, and has to look at it. The closest thing a guy has to makeup to cover anything up is a beard. There is just one major problem with beards and guys my age (17). Only about one out of 50 guys can grow a beard that actually covers skin. So in the end it isn’t a very good strategy. It’s not even the fact girls have makeup to cover blemishes. Makeup overall just makes you look better, unless you put way too much on, that isn’t cute. But it is evident everywhere that makeup can transform a person. You see it nonstop, especially on social media. You see celebrities with before and after makeup shots, and they’re so surprising you almost fall out of your seat. Makeup can literally work miracles.

Not only are girls able to fool people with their make-up, but they can get you with their bodies too. This is something that I hate the most. Honestly, if guys would like to look better about their body, they buy a gym membership and put endless hours of dedication into themselves to be a “better looking” person. On the other hand, if girls would like to look better they’re able to go to Victoria’s Secret and spend $40 on a pushup bra that deceives the minds of everyone. I’ve even seen commercials of jeans for girls that even shape their butt and lift it up. No doubt if I had a shirt that made my arms look huge I would wear it, but when I took it off I still wouldn’t have huge arms.

The most that a guy will ever do to himself is something with his hair. They might get it cut with a design or even put a little gel in it. That is nothing though compared to the money that girls constantly spend on their hair. They spend ridiculous amount of money going to the hair salon getting their hair cut, highlighted, lowlighted, ombred, or sometimes even died a completely different color. They also have like 1000 different tools to do their hair. They have a straightener, a curling iron, a teaser, and like 10 types of brushes. It all seems like a little bit too much for some hair.
To me it all seems a bit weird to give people an illusion to hide who you really are, because at the end of it all, it doesn’t change what’s on the inside, and that’s what matters. Guys just have to live with their faces. They can’t hide who they are. If we want to have a better looking body, we don’t have the benefit of wearing clothes that will help. We go to the gym for hours and hours, and to us it still doesn’t seem like enough. So let’s be real, if you’re a guy and you’re ugly, without taking drastic measures you will always be ugly.