Gossip, a Cruel Act of Uncertainty | Teen Ink

Gossip, a Cruel Act of Uncertainty

March 29, 2014
By FutureWriter101 PLATINUM, Gabarone, Other
FutureWriter101 PLATINUM, Gabarone, Other
49 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Happiness can be found even in the most darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the lights


Every once in a while, we come across people who seem to be very creative when it comes to making up stories. These stories however, are usually conducted from their over active imagination and relate to the people around them. The main characters are those who they choose to star in their tale of far fetched events that may or may not be true. There is of course a term used to describe this social habbit that we cant seem to let go of and it is most commonly known as GOSSIP. Now this cruel act of uncertaintainty varies in different forms as rumers are spread by the unknown. We usually have no recollection of where these forms of gossip originate but we are generally either upset by the news or have gathered enough joy with the thought of being the center of attention. Within the younger generation gossip has become more hurtful in many ways as we are not exactly mature enough to handle the situation at hand. That depends on the topic that has been talked about amoungst unwanted listeners of society. Once the news has been thrown into the crowd against its will, we tend to hunt down who the original perpetrator who started all this drama from the very beginning. And that is exactly what gossip is, drama. It is dramatic in the sense of knowing that your personal life is being discussed between a certain group of people who either know you or not and are saying things about you that can be negative or possitive depending on the news that has been spoken about.

Our reaction to the news is another story but it can only be determined by what has been said and who was the first person to say it. Before we decide on what to do we search for who to be angry at, we search for who to take out our emotion on and in rare cases we attempt to find the one in which to express our gratitue to. Gossip feeds on the reaction of its audience, it grows as the audience's intrest within the news grows with it. As long as the crowd is entertained theres no reason why the gossip cant continue. The whole effect that gossip is supposed to bring upon the victom is humiliation and or pride. When you are young and someone is spreading rumers about you which in turn is causing people to gossip, you feel defeated in the heat of the moment because it can come at a time when you least expect it. Its like being a dear in the headlights so to speak. I personally hate gossip because people say all sorts of things that have neither been confirmed nor denied and that can actually ruin ones reputation. When your repuation is ruined because of one simple cruel act of gossip it becomes that much harder to repair. No one, no matter how young or how old wants their reputation to be damaged by the hands of jealous hoodlems who have nothing better to do than to cause emotional distress to someone else's well being. This is disturbing to the younger generation, as the people you love start to look different towards you despite the fact that they have known you for years. Or at least you thought they did but once they hear that youve been doing something that they dont like and you know in your heart that its not as bad as it seems, that completly changes their original insight of who you are as a person. Which is sad because you would think that they had more faith and trust in you than just vicious rumers.

We all wonder how the term gossip was invented but we all know the damage it can do once started. The thing to be aware of is knowing what to say, when to say it and who to say it to because you'll never just how many people are going to find out your deepest darkest secrets if it is said to the wrong person. Good news is better to spread around because it reminds others that you are so much more than people give you credit for, bad news is obviously not a good idea to allow others to hear about because next thing you know your life, your reputation, everything changes in a blink of an eye and you wont know how long its going to take you to bring it all back into perspective. in other words wether young or old, think about what you are going to say to the next person, before you let it out.