Trying To Remain "Me" | Teen Ink

Trying To Remain "Me"

By Aliza17 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Aliza17 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

In today’s society it’s a struggle to be yourself. It seems like if you’re not indulging into all of the wrong things (smoking, drink, and fighting) then you’re considered an outcast. I truly can’t fathom the way people have done a complete 360° change just to satisfy and fit into this image that other people paint them to be. I won’t play the victim. I don’t want to be involved in drama, violence, and I choose not to destroy the status of my highly thought of name by smoking, drinking, fighting, and standing on the street corners every day and night. I want better for myself now and in the future; when you do negative things you never get a positive outcome. Which is why I am the way I am. I love being me…. But at times i’m tempted.

It seems cool to those who watch from a distance to indulge into the actions that those who came before us look down upon. Why not be who you are? Maybe it’s because you want to fit in. Why portray yourself as someone you’re not? It’s better to stay true to yourself, but with all the temptation in this world it’s hard to stay sane. Seems like it’s better to be a follower now-a-days than to be a leader. Then when someone tells you to slow down and take a look at your life your quick to shoot them down with that legendary quote of guiltiness “Why are you judging the way I choose to live my life?!” when their only trying to help. This is why most people give up trying to encourage others. Mainly because you can’t help someone change if they don’t want to change on their own.

When your living wrong you tend to push the ones who really and care about you away. Only to be accepted by a stranger on the streets who doesn’t care about you at all. This is a problem. I remember when we use to actually listen to what people had to say to us. Those encouraging words meant something; it gave us strength and hope. I think if we spent more time with our families and loved ones then maybe that would cut down on some of the violence and crimes going on in the world today. The people who love you and really care about you should only persuade you to do better than they did in life. Yet there are some adults out here that are still acting as though they are the child. They don’t understand that we imitate the actions that they display to us every day, when they aren’t around.

Everything that goes on around us influences us in some kind of way. No matter if it’s positive or negative. In todays times were surrounded by it all everyday. Drugs, alcohol, and other substances seem to be the main choices in today’s epidemic of teenagers. It seems cool but in the long run they don’t realize that by trying to live the fast life it will only affect them in the long run. It could cause them serious health problems, affect their relationships with their loved ones and friends, and possibly have them in a rehab.

Instead of trying to influence others to enjoy the fast life, they should use their capability to influence people to do the right thing. Teach them that their dreams can come true and that one day they will be able to do all those things that they wished they could do when they were young (drink and smoke). Their time will come. Telling people about your experiences that they can relate to really helps people feel a connection to the words your saying, and will make them actually listen to you. One voice could make a change in somebodies life. I know I’ll use my voice; maybe my words will matter to someone. If it doesn’t, then at least I know I tried.