The Ultimate Lesson | Teen Ink

The Ultimate Lesson

December 4, 2013
By BeatnikLover GOLD, Farson, Wyoming
BeatnikLover GOLD, Farson, Wyoming
16 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Here growing up means murdering your dreams, cutting your hair, and going to work. All this so you can live in a miserably boring house with a miserably boring family and then be deemed 'successful.'"


If I were to embark on the dutiful task of teaching every soul on this Earth one lesson, it would be a simple one. Relax.

Almost everyone, at least the people I know, is in this stressful, constant rush for no real reason at all. Parents miss out on their children growing up so that they can fill their bank accounts and drive nicer cars. Business people go through bottles of Advil trying to defeat their deadline-headaches. People collapse with high blood pressure, red faced, brimming with stress, and unhappy. They have money though.

When people finally die now, the bittersweet end to rushing pointless lives, they leave the world with few fond memories. As Jack Kerouac said, “…no one cared about the beauty of a morning dew on Missouri barbed wire fence”. All those beautiful things in this world are going unnoticed by the steaming commuters and fast-walking, late-for-a-meeting working Joes. Glorious stars in deep black night stare down to witness no one staring back. Instead, those eyes are rushing home in loud traffic, funneling some mediocre dinner down, and sipping a beer so they can relax enough to fall into their depression sleep of melancholy, life-wasting nightmares. They have money though.

Yes, yes, my lesson. Slow down, work somewhere that you enjoy even if that means living in an old apartment. Dig the stars all night with someone you love. Take long walks and admire the grand mystery of our universe. Drop all responsibilities, and be happy with nothing but the absolute necessities. Sleep for the entire day without feeling guilty. When you get stuck in traffic, witness the loveliness of humanity, take a belly-deep OM breath, and smile. Let them have their money.


The author's comments:
This was an essay in response to the question, "If you could teach everyone in the world one lesson, what would it be?".