Vertical Burials? | Teen Ink

Vertical Burials?

By Santiagopeoms PLATINUM, Bay St. Louis, Mississippi
Santiagopeoms PLATINUM, Bay St. Louis, Mississippi

Nevermore...- Edgar Allen Poe

Let me start by telling you a fascinating fact. Old graves may soon be opened to allow more bodies to be buried in the same plot, the Government indicated in May of 2012. Now ask yourself would you like to be buried under 3 other people stacked on top of one another. I for one do not. If you are thinking to yourself that’s impossible the government would never do that. Well, think again. Harriet Harman, the minister responsible for cemeteries, said, “the desperate shortage of space in graveyards could no longer be ignored and said she was prepared to tackle "political taboos" such as double burials.” Mandating that all people must be buried vertically in order to save space and not have “double decked graves” First, vertical burials are vastly more environmentally friendlier then horizontal burials. Second, vertical burials are far less expensive than traditional burials, and lastly, vertical burials are becoming increasing popular in other countries.

Vertical burials will be placed in biodegradable shrouds and buried in cylindrical holes, feet first. This biodegradable shrouds will degrade in a little over six mouths making it vastly more environmentally friendlier than wooden coffins. After the bag degrades the body will start its cycle of decay. It will take 10 to 15 years for the body to completely decompose including ligaments, tendons and ever bone. This is compared to 40 to 50 years decomposition time in a traditional coffin. This bill should be popular for those senators that care about the environment.

Secondly, vertical burials are far less expensive. Relatives of the dead can expect to pay about 7,000 to 9,000 for a tradition burial. Yet with a environmentally friendly vertical burial one can be expected to pay 1,000 – 4,000, making burial vastly more affordable to more middle income households. This is important in an economy where most people fall into the middle income bracket. The government will no longer have to subsidize expensive burials the average person will be able to afford it.

Lastly, vertical burials are becoming increasing popular in other countries, such as England, Australia, and Madagascar. America needs to be the major world power to get behind this idea and push it into the mainstream. America needs to be a leader in vertical burials and the only way to do that is to mandate that everyone must be buried vertically. Other countries look to America as a leader and that is what we must live up to.

America has about two million deaths a year; this is the only way to make space for this large number
Vertical burials may be considered taboo in America but it is either that or double decked graves. It is your choice.