United States HealthCare | Teen Ink

United States HealthCare

By Vakia BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Vakia BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Hr10

United States Healthcare

According to Public Broadcasting Services, the United States is the only industrialized democracy that doesn't provide health care for all its citizens. The price of health care for most Americans is very expensive. Unfortunately, many Americans cannot afford insurance. The people who do have access to insurance have high medical bills to worry about. Healthcare in the United States should be free for everyone.

I believe that everyone deserves the right to medical attention. No one's life is guaranteed. Some individuals get sick, diseases, and even have surgeries. It is not right for a hospital to deny a person for medical attention. It is hard out here in the real world. A person's health is imperative.

A month or two ago I encountered a bad experience at my doctor's visit. I was schedule to have two non painful tests done. The reason for the test is because I have high blood pressure. The doctors wanted to further research the cause of it. When my mom and I arrived, the secretary asked for my insurance card. The hospitals make those checks a priority of theirs. Once the check was completed, we waited in the lobby. Moments later another lady called my mom and me to her office. She explained the two tests and the costs of each. My mom took a double look at the prices. She told the lady that we couldn't afford to pay that. We walked out of the office in disbelief on what actually occurred.
Mentioned by the US Census Bureau, in 2010 the percentage of Americans without health insurance was 16.3% or 49.9 uninsured people. Of the 83.7% of people with health insurance in 2010, coverage was 55.3% employment based, 9.8% and 31.0% government funded. More than 40 million adults stated that they needed but did not receive one or more of these health services like medical care, prescription medicines and mental health care (National Center for health statistics).
The United States is the only industrialized democracy that doesn't provide health care for all its citizens. For most Americans health care is very pricey. For Americans that do have insurance, it's not a walk in the park for them either. Sometimes, situations happen and everyone should be able to get the proper treatment. At the end of the day, people will be able to take care of themselves and never have to worry about any medical bills. If that happens, I will consider that a part of the American Dream.