Accepting Differences

Differences are what make people unique. It’s important and beneficial to live, act, and think differently from our peers, because creativity and conflicting opinions shape our world. But sometimes, it seems as though it would be better if we all thought alike, so large groups of people can do big things, like win wars and run countries, without arguments or hassle. However, since people don’t always see eye-to-eye on important issues, we need to accept the small differences to accomplish big things.
In World War Two, the United States was unsure about becoming allies with Great Britain, France, and the other members of the Allies. They did not want to get involved in another war so soon after World War One, and they had some problems with the way some of the Allied countries were run. But in December 1941, the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. The United States decide to join the war. All through World War Two, the Allies tried to accept their differences and join together when it mattered. Because of this, the United States still has many strong bonds with those countries today.
Conflicts like this happen all the time, on many levels. For example, close to two decades after World War Two, the Civil Rights Movement broke out here in America. Not everyone agreed with the protest marches, strikes, and violence, but mostly everyone wanted the same thing: freedom and equality for everyone, not just people with a certain color of skin. And so together, United States citizens worked past their differences and achieved their goal.
Another more modern example is schooling. Most Americans send their children to public schools, but a percentage of parents believe their children can learn better at private school,online school, or through homeschooling. As long as children are getting a good education, it doesn't matter where they are taught or who is teaching them. An easy way to overcome this conflict is to accept others’ choices for their children.
We all have differences, whether it’s something small like a favorite breakfast cereal, or something big like how to handle the shaky economy. But sometimes, like United States citizens did in World War Two, we need to accept these differences, big and small, in order to accomplish something even greater.

EvetteT said...
  Accepting differences is sometimes very difficult for people to do. It is a very important subject but it usually goes undiscussed. You do a great job on talking about why accepting differences matters and how it can be accomplished. You are a prolific writer. Keep writing!!!

GreekGoddessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Great job, I love how we can really see your voice through out the whole thing, it was like you were reading along with us. Love it!

Indigo.Loves.Someone replied...
Thanks! :)