Losing Innocent Lives | Teen Ink

Losing Innocent Lives

By EdgarC BRONZE, Denver, Colorado
EdgarC BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

The government should have the power and control over weapons. A conservative person might say that it is his or her own right to possess a gun, but I say that the constitution is outdated and time has changed over the course of 100 years. I believe that the government should have control over weapons for these reasons. The constitution is outdated and the second amendment, more guns equals more violence, and there have been many mass shootings.
The first reason why I believe that the government should have control over weapons is because the constitution and the second amendment is outdated. According to Huffington Post, O’leary stated, “Our 1700’s idea of personal protection has become and intimated and real present-day public threat.” Back then assault rifles were not created. This means that there was not a weapon that can kill various people and a short amount of time. One final reason why I believe that the government should have control over weapons is that the people who created the constitution have a different perspective of modern day people. Clearly, the government should be able to have control over guns because the constitution is outdated.
The second reason why the government should be able to have control over guns is because having more guns equals more violence. First, more people will have the ability to hurt many people in a short period of time. This was possible because he had an assault rifle in his possession. If guns were in the government’s control, that James Holmes would not have been able to kill all those innocent people because they would have a restriction upon the amount of ammo that an individual could have. Secondly, O’leary stated, “We cannot be free when you are an innocent victim, dying on the floor of a movie theater.” Dying as an innocent citizen was not one of the rights that the constitution has told people.
My final reason why I believe that the government should control weapons is because there have been too many mass shootings in the United States. One mass shooting is Sandy Hook. 20 innocent children were able to be killed because someone had the ability to obtain an assault rifle very easy. Another mass shooting is the Aurora shooting. James Holmes had many guns and he used them as a way to create violence in the U.S.
In conclusion, we should have the government have control over weapons because the constitution and the second amendment are outdated, more guns equal more violence, and there have been too many mass shootings. There is a way to save innocent lives. Give gun control to the government.