Beauty Isn't Skin Deep. | Teen Ink

Beauty Isn't Skin Deep.

March 23, 2012
By Lindsey31 GOLD, Rockford, Minnesota
Lindsey31 GOLD, Rockford, Minnesota
11 articles 11 photos 52 comments

Favorite Quote:
LIVE life ~ LAUGH always ~ LOVE lots


I’ve never understood society, and frankly, I don’t believe I ever want to. Many obsess over culture’s need for surface beauty, turning into six-zero, 100-pound sticks of flesh. Models these days are not what they used to be. They don’t just sell a product, they tell girls that to be recognized, to be considered beautiful, you’ve got to pay the price. No. Beauty comes from within.
At least, that’s what I tell myself every day. Welcome to West Point High School, home of the most dramatic, self-conscious people, especially the girl population, on the planet. If you think I’m exaggerating, you’ve never been to my school.
Guys in movies always seem to get the super-skinny, artificially-tan girls who flirt with everyone to make themselves feel noticed. Well, that translates to reality, and the traits are being recognized by guys everywhere.
Unfortunately for the souls being shoved away because of the media, who are beautiful both inside and out just not to society’s standards, they mean less than nothing to the saps dying to prey on a “pretty” girl.
It makes me sick to discover how these girls get so “pretty” in the first place. Pounds of makeup, implants, yoga pants, never eating, constantly exercising to the point of exhaustion are all methods of “beautifying” yourself to impress your Prince Charming.
Wrong, again. Whatever happened to being yourself? What happened to being proud of who you are naturally, without any artificial products to downsize your self-esteem.
The rumors that circulate about girls are terrifyingly ridiculous as well. Teenage girls are portrayed as texting, bratty idiots who are incredulous and gossips. Unfortunately, the select few girls in high school who do do these behaviors ruin the female population as a whole.
“Did you hear who Pete asked to prom?” Amanda would ask Jamie, who would ask Kathy, “Hey, what ever happened to Nicole and Jeremy?” Kathy would hear from Melanie, who replies, “Didn’t you hear? Jeremy cheated on Nicole with Angela!” Madison would butt in and say, “No way! Angela is going to prom with Pete!”
Gossip in small schools spread like a wildfire. One mistake and you are labeled for life.
Well, doesn’t that sound like the teenage girl stereotype? One mistake—the select few girls who decide to become bratty know-it-alls who need all the attention they can get—and we, girls, are branded as rumor-spreading, brainless fools. Just think: you can party in high school, text away your best friends, but what will you be doing for the rest of your life?
Think about what your next action is, or what your next word is, to somebody. Life isn’t about making others’ lives miserable; it’s about having fun, but enough to stay safe. Remember, beauty just skin deep. It exists beyond the flesh, whether it be of a bony woman, a muscular woman, or one of who has an eating disorder. Everybody is different, but that’s what makes people normal. We’re all human and should be treated equally, no matter what they look like. Actions speak louder than words.


The author's comments:
I do not intend for anyone to be offended. This does not apply to all societies, medias or anyone in particular. This piece is written in general.