Whaling | Teen Ink

Whaling

By Wiley BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Wiley BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania

I'm icey.

Dear Readers,

How would you feel, if thousands of innocent people were slaughtered, and fed to you without you knowing? Well that’s exactly what’s happening to thousands of whales.

Some people think, that whales are just like every other animal. Whales are just another resource. Actually, whales are mammals. They have feeling, like everyone else. Their brains are bigger, and more complex than ours. They communicate with each other, and have families, and can feel pain. The part of their brain that feels pain is much bigger than ours; the pain they feel is even worse. They’re being murdered, very brutally. They get tied to Japanese “Research” ships, and spend hours choking on their own blood wondering why we’re hurting them for no good reason. Crying out for help, but their families can’t save them. How would you feel, if shot a harpoon along with a grenade into your skin, and set it off inside of you? Whales shouldn’t have to suffer like that. It’s horrible.

Some argue that whale meat is a Japanese tradition, and that it would be disrespectful to ask them to stop eating whale… but that’s a lie. Investigators went to Japan, and asked many people if they knew they were eating whale meat and the answer was no. Many were completely unaware and devastated that anyone would eat whale. Japanese whales falsely package whale meat, and sell it to their people. Whale meat is also highly toxic; it is filled with mercury. Mercury can cause blindness, retardation, and even death. Even worse, they feed it to the children in Japan not knowing its poison. The schools take the whale meat, because it is free.

Other may argue that Japan is using whaling money to help Japans poor, and they need the money. What Japan is actually doing is wasting all their money on whaling. They used our loan to help them with the Tsunami to pay for better security for the whalers, instead of using it to help the people of Japan. I don’t see why they don’t invest in some other type of business, they could make just as much money slaughtering some other type of animal instead of whales; a type of animal that wouldn’t feel any pain when being killed and isn’t anywhere near being endangered.

In conclusion, we shouldn’t be killing these intelligent, docile creatures. We should be studying them… not eating them. It’s horrible that a handful of whalers are effecting Japan’s reputation, because otherwise Japan is a great country. We need to defend the whales, because they can’t defend themselves. We need to let the world know what’s really happening.

Respectfully,
Riley Godfrey.

Spread the word. Stop the whaling.

DreamingOutQuiet SILVER, Round Rock, Texas

"Time and the bell have buried the day,
The black cloud carries the sun away" - Elliot

Oh if life where made of moments, even now and then a bad one. Oh, if life where made of moments then we wouldn't know we had one. - Into the Woods

Whaling is sad:(

Wiley BRONZE said...

I'm icey.

actually, (: thank you.

I've seen some of its photos and its really horrible . .As what you've said whales don't even get the chance to fight for themselves let us fight for them:)