The Seed Of Education

“The benefits of education and of useful knowledge, generally diffused through a community, are essential to the preservation of a free government”.

Only the educated are free. The roots of education are indisputably bitter, but its fruits are beyond sweet. A democratic government is imperceptibly bonded with education by nature. Education is equivalent to a ticket to freedom, wisdom, and progress that can only be expired by death. With the absence of education, there is no predictable future, both within a nation and an individual. People around the world abandon their countries to seek the opportunities that they lack; freedom and education. The significance of education has been demonstrated throughout history as well. During colonial times in America, an uneducated individual was considered wretched and unworthy of citizenship. Also, during slavery, it was strictly forbidden to educate slaves because educated slaves represented a threat.

Education echoes within a democratic government, a government by the people and for the people. Education has always been the center of society and recognition. Millions of people migrate to the United States for countless reason; the most common reason is education. The most important aspect of life is education. What makes America a true “exceptional” nation is its many opportunities, freedom, equality, but most importantly the awareness of the significance of education. Unfortunately, individuals are not blessed with enough resources to educate themselves in many countries throughout the globe. They are perfectly aware that education is the key to the infinite doors of success and out of mostly any situation in life. unfortunately, those who do have the resources tend to waste them because of the fact that they have yet to be enlightened about the riches education can offer a human being in society. This is a lesson that many adolescents in America have to learn; to appreciate their education. Human beings are created helpless and weak creatures; they need strength. In a democracy, there is no space for foolish individuals; the brute are driven by instincts rather than by facts, the stupid are driven by necessity and outcomes, while the wise are driven by reason and experience. All that men lack at birth can be obtained by the gift of education.

Even throughout history, education has proven to be what matters most in life; this reality has always been with us. In colonial American, there were a legion of criteria’s an individual had to possess; the most important one was education. In order to vote, it was completely necessary to own property, and to be a wealthy individual. It was practically impossible to obtain all of these qualities without an education. One needed to be literate to gain full rights to suffrage and to make money, education was necessary to enter certain occupations. More than half of the population in the thirteen colonies was illiterate without a voice in the government. When the Pilgrims signed the May Flower Compact, upon their arrival in the North American Atlantic coast, only the educated and the wealthy could take part in its signing. The elites controlled everything; they made the rules for the poor to follow. Citizens who are not intelligent enough to question or, to take control can be easily deceived by their government.

An educated individual develops an open mind with the ability to question; this can surely become a threat. Before slavery was abolished in the south, a law was passed that forbade plantation owners from educating their slaves. Literate slaves could easily start trouble or, have greater chances of escaping from their owners. Past experiences with slave revolts had led the government to come up with that conclusion, Frederick Douglass is an example of this. He was taught how to read and write by his owner’s wife. Douglass escaped to New York and became extremely successful and popular throughout the north. He was able to establish his own newspaper, “The North Star”. He wrote about is experiences and what was actually happening in the southern states, something that many people were not completely aware of. Later, he played a major role in the abolition of slavery and had the opportunity to meet President Abraham Lincoln.

Education is the key to a great Democratic nation and a better society. The educational opportunities offered in America attract people who lack the resources to obtain an education, from all over the world. Education has always played a major role in the lives of human beings. During colonial times, an individual without an education had no rights and could not take part in government activities. Slaves were not allowed to be educated because they had the tendency to become a threat to both the government and their owners. Education is everlasting.

WhittyKittyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was extremely well written. I loved that you backed up your opinion with facts. This article seems very well researched and proved very persuasive. Great job!

NARUTO_UCHIHA replied...
Feb. 17, 2012 at 6:37 pm :
thank you very much!