Shameless | Teen Ink

Shameless

By RoundRobinGirl GOLD, Craigmont, Idaho
RoundRobinGirl GOLD, Craigmont, Idaho

"Cowboy up, puss."

The problem with society today is that we are shameless. Nothing is private anymore. Magazines print brightly colored headlines about improving your sex life. The media twists the lives of celebrities. People gossip about Lindsey Lohan’s latest parole and Kim Kardashigan’s divorce. Privacy is a thing of the past. If a couple is fighting, they don’t keep it between themselves anymore. They post on Facebook and Twitter the details of the fight, something that should be kept private.
The times when people’s business stayed their own are gone. Hundreds of magazines are completely dedicated to celebrity gossip, and you can’t get the same story from any two of them! Isn’t it bad enough that the whole world knows celebrities’ secrets? Why go on to every story being twisted and magnified, till it’s no longer a story, but a blatant lie?
Beyond just privacy being a thing of the past, decency is, as well. Words that were once unutterable are now colloquial! Phrases that at one time were so nasty that if a young woman said them, she would be marked as an unsophisticated tramp, are now commonly used in conversation. Sex is something that guys don’t just talk about, they publicly discuss! The words that people use in everyday conversation to refer to the opposite sex are disgusting!
Society is on a downward spiral, and only we can stop it. Is it so difficult to censor your speech? Or keep a secret? If society doesn’t clean up its act soon, things will only continue to get worse until humanity is an uncivilized, unsophisticated pack of dogs, with no regard for etiquette, privacy, or each other.