Disabled, or Differantly Able | Teen Ink

Disabled, or Differantly Able

By AnumK SILVER, Karachi, Other
AnumK SILVER, Karachi, Other

People with disabilities tend to survive in a world that is largely made for the “able-bodied” and it is apparent that they still want to lead a life which is no more different than normal people. But the bad news is—society, at large, views the disabled as a pack of retards who lack the natural ability to understand, comprehend or think good for themselves.

What I came to know so far is that it is our common thought, or probably our nature, to fear or ridicule people who appear different from us. But an absent limb or any mental illness does not define their character or inner soul. They have the same rights as everybody else and want dignity and respect from every individual. I guess, the disabled are just as same as someone else, except the label or brand they are supposed to carry with them, and it doesn’t make sense to disgrace somebody if he/she cannot walk or has one arm instead of two.

Now take it on yourself—think for a while…what if somebody passing by stares at you or kids point out fingers at you saying weird stuff to their companions and even calling you derogatory names? Ah! Such an annoying feeling, isn’t it? Never know the sentiments and emotions until you yourself walk in their shoes, eh? Well, the bottom line here is; please treat disabled people the way you want to get treated. They are also humans and have the same feelings and emotions like everyone else.

Yeah, I agree with the fact that today a broken limb is no more an excuse for stepping back in extra-curricular activities. It is not like that old 1970s when retarded people could not participate in athletics or professional or social activities. Thanks to technology and medicines, the disabled are now much able to cope up with the difficulties, but the social scenario still lies there.

People are still unaware about treating and assisting these people. The blind has to be guided, the mentally challenged needs to be assisted and the physically challenged needs help getting things done for him/her. It is us who have to play our part helping them survive in this mean world where minority is looked upon as aliens. A friendly handshake, eye contact and a caring smile can go a long way. Even saying “Hi, it’s good to see you!” can brighten up someone’s day.

Anyone having depression, alopecia, bipolar disease or schizophrenia still fights with the daily challenges, but the worst part for them is feeling being isolated from the normal people. Making an outward, friendly gesture can do wonders for someone who desperately needs it.

You don’t have to be snobbish when you meet them, stare at them endlessly or even look at them with a downward angle—it sounds so offensive! Of course, be there to help if they need any assistance but DON’T try to act like an overprotective hen. Be open-minded, patient and accept the differences.

You must already know that people with disabilities don’t want to be pitied or being differently behaved. They just want to live a normal life. No matter what difficulties they have, don’t show so much pity or feel sorry for them as it makes them feel inferior. Just ask for help, if you think they need any, and wait for their response. Don’t become over-responsive. If a crippled man on the wheelchair needs your assistance, be courteous and ask him if you can help. For many disabled people, dignity and respect are the foremost things, they don’t desire to be criticized or judged by anyone.

Besides all this, we come across so many courageous handicapped people who refuse to overburden themselves with their disability and go on to live a fulfilling life. I find it really commendable, as knowing your disability and overcoming it with so much courage and willpower isn’t a small deal. Today, they play sports and do almost everything like a normal person in spite of the fact that every now and then they have to face problems but they learn to beat the challenges and live a happier life.

Coming to an end, I hope that people will stop focusing much on the disability of the people; rather they will focus on their personalities. It is not a person’s fault if he/she is retarded. Disabilities are just a part of our lives, but making it an issue and calling someone “handicapped or special” is what makes him/her feel different. Our disabilities don’t define us, so who are we to judge or look down upon someone with ridicule?

Knowing the fact that disabled--rather differently able people, constitute an important part of our society, I wrote this article. If anyone of you really gained something from it, I'd be very happy to know it.

Aastha said...
on May. 31 2018 at 7:04 am
Nice keep it up

Ibrahim said...
I want to talk this author.

Meli rocks said...
Trueeeeee

misa pandeu said...
on Jan. 27 2015 at 11:15 am
misa pandeu, Kathmandu, Other
OOOO NICE I LIKE IT . I HOPE IT WILL BE LIKED BY YOU TOO

misa pandeu said...
on Jan. 27 2015 at 11:14 am
misa pandeu, Kathmandu, Other
Did you know you can now tag other users using "@"?

loveforall97 said...
ALLAH had created everyone equally and loves everyone too.i am just going for an essay competitionon on these topics. may you be able to write on such topics which represents millions who are denied of love and care and a label of NORMAL.....salam to all my pakistani brothers and sisters .....from kerala,India

Malik Waseem said...
on Aug. 22 2011 at 10:11 am
How r  u and where are u girl misss u alottt i amailed u 10 times but didnt get any reply from u yeh plzzzzz reply immediatly im waiting take care luv u bye bye tata :):):)

AnumK SILVER said...
on Aug. 22 2011 at 6:18 am
AnumK SILVER, Karachi, Other

Thanks for being so honest and frank. I appreciate that. I am proud that you are proud of me! :)

Love,

Aapi! :)

AnumK SILVER said...
on Aug. 22 2011 at 6:17 am
AnumK SILVER, Karachi, Other
Thanks Malik! :)

AnumK SILVER said...
on Aug. 22 2011 at 6:16 am
AnumK SILVER, Karachi, Other

I hope the same, and am working for the same!

Yeah, thumbs up! :)

AnumK SILVER said...
on Aug. 22 2011 at 6:15 am
AnumK SILVER, Karachi, Other

You're very right, Armaan.

Thanks for the appreciation! :)

It feels great to find that you write on such topics too. It's exactly where a writer should somehow utilize his/her skills. You make me feel proud in a million ways.

Loads of Love,

Sahil.

AnumK SILVER said...
AnumK SILVER, Karachi, Other
Thank you all!

diana said...
on Sep. 14 2010 at 9:06 am
good work Anum keep it up

Malik waseem said...
VERyyyyyyy gr8 work yar gr8 effort :) luv ur all articles keep it up amzingg :):):)

Anum u really doing well ,,, i appricate your artical,, you do good and will do good...thumsup

Dj_roxtar said...
on Sep. 8 2010 at 11:15 am
:)) great work..

Javeria said...
on Sep. 8 2010 at 10:18 am

"NM" my frnd,,,

i always think bout it dat how people cn behave like rude wd disable people n how cn i suggest dem to not to do dat wd dem bt u solve ma prob & create an article as per dat,,,, its ov wt "I THOUGHT".... i appriciate u for dis hard workin n my prayers r wid u regardin ur fabulous articles like dis one...

armaan ali said...
on Sep. 8 2010 at 10:11 am

Anum!! great work!!

these sort of topics are always hidden or intentionally not brought to light

i really appreciate your thoughts!!

indeed its touchy and i gained alot

keep up the good work

on Sep. 8 2010 at 9:41 am
gud effort anum........keep it up