What Role Language Plays in One’s Life | Teen Ink

What Role Language Plays in One’s Life

By Nathan Xu BRONZE, Seaside, California
Nathan Xu BRONZE, Seaside, California

Language plays an important role in the lives on people whether you know it or not. Usually, the part language plays in ones live falls under one of the following three categories: to help express yourself, to teach others, and to learn. Without writing, many people, famous people, suffering from different forms of speaking disadvantages wouldn’t be able to express themselves. For example, Malcolm X, David Raymond, and Marjorie Agosin. Without writing, millions of teachers would lose their jobs, and people like Nancy Sommers, Donald Murray, and Anne Lamott would never get to share their ingenuity with the world. Without writing, people wouldn’t and couldn’t ever learn to write leaving them with many closed doors in life, in addition, leaving them dumb and stupid. Consequently, writing takes an important role in the lives of everyone and our world would be a living hell without writing.

First, without writing many people, famous people, suffering from different forms of speaking, reading, writing, or a-mix-of all-the-above disadvantages wouldn’t be able to express themselves. If great people like Malcolm X were robbed of their passion and lust for writing they would become average Joe’s. Once Malcolm X talked about how he never felt “so truly free” in his life before even though he was in prison. And he said these lines even though he was in prison because they were true. Since he developed his passion for writing, it didn’t matter where he was because all he needed in his life was writing and it didn’t matter where he was. In the beginning of the article on Malcolm X the impression it gave me on Malcolm X was like a drunken person, Muslim and black, a stoner. This was not the Malcolm X I knew about, I knew Malcolm X as a violent protester who unlike Martin Luther King Jr. fought against the whites for civil rights. He was like the black leader of the KKK. He emitted a glow of leadership and determination to those around him. Well that’s what I always thought of him to be. However, as I continued reading the article on Malcolm X I found that all those things that I learned about him really were true. He really was a leader; however, the transformation from a drunken Black Muslim stoner to a magnificent leader known around the world never would’ve happened if he had never tried to write and learn new words are those times. Another great person who was handicapped by the disability to learn to read, write, etc. was young man named David Raymond. This young man suffered from dyslexia. He was actually, very smart; however, since he was dyslexic he couldn’t do much stuff. For example, he couldn’t learn many things like his homework, his friend’s notes, or even his own name. Besides being handicapped in academic subjects, David also couldn’t learn to throw a ball, swim, or ride his bike. Whenever he wrote an essay like the one I just read he always had to dictate what he was saying to his mom. In addition, he always felt bad because whenever he had to do homework others had to suffer and waste their precious time on him too. However, without writing he would never be able to express how he felt on this subject of his dyslexia. Another amazing person in Marjorie Agosin, in the essay that she wrote called “Always Living in Spanish” she describe the troubles and adversities she had to face fleeing from her homeland and come to America, a country that spat on her because of her flawed English and South American skin tones. Everyday kids would come up to her and ask things like why are you different, why do you write in Spanish? And many times she was cry and cry, because she would always have to try to explain everything to them. However, she never could get the words quite right, because she was not very fluent in English. Therefore, to keep her homeland closer to her heart and the warm feeling in her soul she wrote poetry. She wrote in Spanish. In Spanish the words of her artfully mastered language came to her, her soul felt smooth and it made her feel like she was once more one with her homeland. When he was in states like these she didn’t need to ever explain herself to others she didn’t need to tell people why she looked different then everyone else, because her poetry explained it to everyone. It also explained itself. Without the lust for her native language Marjorie would never have become the famous writer she is today.

Second, without writing, millions of teachers would lose their jobs, and people like Nancy Sommers, Donald Murray, and Anne Lamott would never get to share their ingenuity with the world. For the first statement, besides totally shooting up the unemployment rate in our already struggling economy, without teachers, who will try would next generation of children? If there was no writing, people would be so undeveloped me might as well be animals. In addition, great writers like Nancy Sommers, Donald Murray, and Anne Lamott would never get to share their ingenuity with the world. Taking information about writing from the world would be like topping down a couple of rainforest, that’s how much paper would be used.

Finally, without writing, people wouldn’t and couldn’t ever learn to write leaving them with many closed doors in life, in addition, leaving them dumb and stupid. Like I said before in my second paragraph, if people never learn they will never do things. If there was not writing instead of developing we, as a world would be degrading back into the animals we raise in zoos.

Subsequently, the power and the role writing plays in everyone’s lives is very important whether they know it or not. Because, Without writing, many people, famous people, suffering from different forms of speaking disadvantages wouldn’t be able to express themselves. For example, Malcolm X, David Raymond, and Marjorie Agosin. Without writing, millions of teachers would lose their jobs, and people like Nancy Sommers, Donald Murray, and Anne Lamott would never get to share their ingenuity with the world. Without writing, people wouldn’t and couldn’t ever learn to write leaving them with many closed doors in life, in addition, leaving them dumb and stupid. This is why I believe writing is the most important subject in the world and that it should be thought to every like that.