A Granted Freedom | Teen Ink

A Granted Freedom

April 10, 2010
By Anonymous

When debated over, the concept of homosexuality has proven to be a very controversial topic in modern day society. Although homosexuality has been dated back to the emergence of Homo sapiens, the “correctness” of the orientation is dubious. The majority of the population in the United States, the most of which is influenced by a reference in a Holy book, opposes the orientation by deeming it unnatural or against the will of a god while a minority is convinced that homosexuality is a volitional right. I, unbiased by my religious beliefs, possess the conviction that the latter portion of the population, in the aforementioned sentence, possesses the correct belief on the orientation.

The homosexual has always been and will always be misunderstood due to our inability to connect with the experience. It is a staunch belief that the homosexual has chosen to be attracted by one of the same sex and that he or she has the ability to engage or refrain from it. I disagree with the former portion of the sentence, for homosexuality is a result, in most cases, of the innate, although it may be the result of a traumatic childhood experience. Therefore, it is incorrect to say that a person rises on a random morning and declares his or her sexual orientation. Making the decision is time-consuming and difficult for the unfortunate (or fortunate) individuals.

Therefore, it is not society’s right or responsibility to disenfranchise the inherent rights of homosexuals, for the United States is not a country governed by the prejudice of others. Although religions are respected and embraced by the country, the dominant does not possess the right to deem any being’s decision incorrect or correct. The decision remains under the power of the governmentS, devoid of bias and intolerance.