Shawano's Swarm of Scarabs

Some people enjoy the thrill of seeing fictional characters being massacred by serial killers. I never have been, nor will I ever be, one of these people. I am avidly against allowing young children to watch fictional violence. When I was younger, I would sometimes convince myself that it would be okay for me to watch horror movies as long as I closed my eyes at the scary parts. Nowadays it seems to me that if I were to follow this rule, I would have my eyes closed through entire movies.

There was one weekend I spent at our cottage in Shawano, Wisconsin that I will never forget, no matter how hard I may (desperately) try to. It was late at night and we decided to watch “The Mummy,” which was apparently rated PG-13 for a very good reason. There was a slightly obese man on the screen wearing glasses and displaying the unkempt aftermath of what happens when a man goes without shaving for an extended period of time, per say when one is attempting to find lost treasures. He was in a room surrounded by riches; goblets made of gold, gold necklaces with large rubies, hundreds of extravagances that would make a king envious. The man was obviously elated to have discovered such a jackpot. Suddenly the door to the cave he was looting began to close. The man looked fearful that he would be trapped. Hastily, he started to grab as many objects as he could. But he was too late. The doors slammed shut and the man was trapped.

The above man did not seem fearful in the least bit. He was too overjoyed with greed to realize that he may be trapped forever. Then, to my great discomfort, little scarabs started crawling out from the mountains of treasures. As they swarmed towards the trapped man, a look of panic crossed his face. He turned around in an attempt to run away, but saw that the bugs were coming at him from every direction. They quickly approached his feet, but instead of crawling up his body, they crawled underneath his boot. They bit their way through the leather surrounding his heel then entered his skin. The man started convulsing. You could see the lumps crawling upward under his skin. Then he was screaming, the agony written all over his face as the scarabs began eating his brain.
By this point, the man was not the only one screaming. I doubt that I blinked at all that night. My body alternated between being curled up in a tight ball and being as straight and rigid as a plank of wood. I could smell the faint scent of burning wood as the smoke from a nearby bonfire leaked in through the open window. The light from the kitchen cast shadows around every object in the room. I could not bring myself to look at the floor beneath me, as I was sure that it was covered with scarabs. I knew that this was illogical, but that did not prevent me from attempting to convince myself that scarabs would not be able to swim across the Atlantic Ocean. My fear helped to contradict this fact by telling myself that they would be able to fly to the United States. I considered running to my mother, but I knew that if I did, I would have to face the dreaded carpet, which was swarming with evil scarabs at the moment. Needless to say, I did not end up falling asleep.
That night, I made a vow to never cross the Atlantic Ocean, so that I would never have to face my newly discovered worst nightmare. This vow I do not plan on keeping, although I do plan on keeping another vow, which is to never travel to Egypt. Very gradually, the distress that watching “The Mummy” caused began to fade. I know from a firsthand experience that young children should not be allowed to watch such horrific movies. I can only hope that all parents will one day realize this, with them hopefully coming to this realization prior to their children coming to the realization that they will never be able to visit the land of the mummies.

Swimgirl said...
omg my mom is from shawano!! great story btw.