Vegetarian

“Now, why would you do that?” she asked her granddaughter, wondering if the girl had been influenced by mob psychology, peer pressure, or was merely inflicted by a temporary, ephemeral insanity.

“I just…” the girl mused, attempting to organize her chaotic thoughts into some semblance of rationality, “I don’t understand what gives us the right to kill other animals, nevermind one another. I mean,” she continued, frowning as she attempted to articulate what made so much sense contained within the sanctuary of her mind, “we’re not God, and even if we were… even if we are His representatives, the governors of the earth, it doesn’t matter, does it? Because God doesn’t kill, or at least plenty of religions think that he gives us free will, refrains from controlling, or more importantly, killing us. So,” the girl questioned, desperate for some reassurance, heavenly or earthly, that she was not completely erroneous in her reasoning, that she had begun to unravel the suffocating coils of confusion from this gloriously oppressive universe, “why should we kill when our creator does not? We can do anything… but should we?”

someone_else said...
Apr. 17, 2011 at 11:08 am
I have been a vegeratian for over a year now, and much of my family is in the cattle industry.  They can't accept the fact that while I'm not going to try to convert them to vegetarianism, this is how I am choosing to live my life.  I love how eloquently you have voiced how we (I am assuming you are a vegetarian) sometimes crave for validation of our decision to be vegetarians.  My parents initally called my vegetarianism a "phase", and it was incredibly frustrating.  Thank y... (more »)

wanderer23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

Thanks so much for your comment!

I wrote this soon after I adopted a vegetarian diet and was shocked that, confronted with the facts, people still didn't care, or insisted that factory farms couldn't be that bad.

Often I'd think that if all these smart, awesome people I knew didn't see a problem with eating other animals, maybe I really was just being silly.

That's so awesome that you became a vegetarian though your family is in the cattle ... (more »)