Lush Cosmetics Is Not Anti-Israel | Teen Ink

Lush Cosmetics Is Not Anti-Israel

Palestine contends the West Bank and Gaza Strip as domain of their supposed State. Whether supportive of their control or not, it is clear that Palestine is a conceptual region that, in 2016, has been said to house 4.817 million, and this has only gone up. These 4.817 million people are all under control by the beyond stubborn Hamas, who initiate attacks on Israel, and in return, get attacked. Hamas lets innocent Palestinians die as they use violence to target Israel, and they, rightfully so, experience brutal responses. In any group of people, barely anyone agrees fully and completely with leaders, and this is no different for Palestine. Few Palestinians will support their  government with total concurrances with their actions. Most Palestinians fear for their lives due to their government's brutal decisions. This is similar to the United States of America, just on a different level. Many Americans that voted for Trump only did so as he was the lesser of two evils when put next to Clinton, but this does not change the fact that he is seen as evil. Having an evil government, or even one with some underlying mal intent, is all too common in today's world, and many companies and organizations like to help.

One company that chose to help a group of people under a trigger-heavy leadership is Lush Cosmetics. Lush Cosmetics noticed that the Palestinian people are put not only in danger but also in a poor living condition due to the paths their government has taken. Due to the harsh nature of Hamas, a family in Palestine will have no influence whatsoever on what attacks are carried out. Lush Cosmetics found a family in Palestine, full of innocence, that harvested almonds and extracted the oil. Lush decided to take action to assist this family that  is true to making their wages and life earnings. Palestinian families could live off of Hamas, fighting for Palestine and killing Israelis, but this family did not, nor could they make the mends to relocate, so they need to live where they do in order to have any chance of progress in thier lifetime. One of the stubborn aspects of Hamas is their relentless behavior when faced with the opportunity of assistance, more specifically, when Israel offered their drip irrigation techniques.

Israel perfected drip irrigation and developed blueprints, offering them to many countries in the Middle East and Palestine. Israel is not able to, themselves, implement their techniques in Palestine, so they offered them despite the fact that Israel does have control over Palestinian water sources. This was an extremely generous act of Israel, but Palestine refused as Hamas feels the need to not take handouts. This affects families like the one Lush decided to help, as a stellar irrigation technique could mean the world for this family's almond oil business yet their success is beyond limited by their government. Lush saw this in clear vision, so they decided to help the family find better water access and thus, prosperity in their business, enough at least to supply Lush Cosmetics for a good deal of their needed almond oil. This is literally Lush helping a family working to stay alive, not Lush helping attacks on Israel, nor Lush helping Hamas. Lush took a stand where Hamas was too vain to take themselves. This proves that Lush is not anti-Israel, and this does not prove that Lush is pro-Palestine. Even if they are,  you can be pro-Peace, such as myself.

In the video, Lush makes some open ended and commonly misinterpreted statements, no doubt about it. Saying that Israel controls Palestinian water gives a false image of the reality, which is that Hamas takes the bare minimum from Israel and is so conceited to the point where they do not distribute it properly. It is a fact that Israel controls Palestine's water, but there is surely more to it. The thing is, Lush never said there wasn't more to it. Lush put it in the simplest terms for the sake of a video and they definitely could  have elaborated, but didn't. That is the only thing they are at fault with… not a stance against Israel.

I, for one, totally support Lush with this. I think helping the good of a supposed State is positive, especially if their government involves themselves in so much warfare like Hamas. A family that just wants to innocently and peacefully make their means of living should be supported no matter what, including their location or allegiance. Lush was trying to regenerate positivity in Palestine, not fuel Hamas, and they did not involve themselves with anything to do with Hamas in this initiative.

This piece was written as a response to many questioning my support of Lush as a Jew, even after this whole ordeal.