Gun Control Wouldn't Work in the United States | Teen Ink

Gun Control Wouldn't Work in the United States

March 28, 2019
By Tylermartineli29 BRONZE, Paramus, New Jersey
Tylermartineli29 BRONZE, Paramus, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Guns are not a bad thing. You were an owner of a firearm, but the government decided to take everyone's guns away since You are a law-abiding citizen and you decide to give your gun to the government. One day you’re walking down the side of the road and you run into somebody who has problems with you, it is a life or death situation. With a gun, you’d be able to defend yourself, but now that the government took it away, you stand there basically defenseless against someone with a weapon, how would you feel if this happened to you? Bans don’t work and history proves it. A firearm ban in the United States would never work.


The Argument we will be talking about is if a gun ban should be put in place in the United States of America. But now we will be talking about other countries to see if it has worked in those places. Countries such as England, Mexico, Venezuela and pretty much all the rest of Latin America have gun laws in place. Has it worked? No. For example, in England 1997, when they banned guns-- gun ownership hit the floor while violent and firearm crime rates were soaring through the clouds.


Same with Latin America, Mexicos homicide rate is at a peak high at 21.5. Gun control has failed Latin America; homicide rates in Latin America are looking way down on homicide rates the United States in every country in Latin America besides chile. The total homicide rate is 21.5. In Brazil, Mexico, Venezuela, etc The gun laws are extremely strict; but that doesn’t stop the crime rates from going up.


Many African countries also have high homicide rates--like Chad with a homicide rate of 9.00 and South Africa with a homicide rate of a whopping 34.00. According to the University of Sydney, In Uganda, the right to private gun ownership is not guaranteed by law--but their homicide rate is still 11.5.


You may bring up Australia and how the homicide rate went down because of the Gun Ban, this is completely false. Homicide rates were already going down before the gun confiscation went into action

Why would banning guns in the United States work; if it hasn’t worked in many other countries?


Just like many other countries, a gun ban will not work in the United States. If you have a collective IQ that will be able to toast a piece of bread if channeled into electricity - you will know that banning something will not prevent people from using it illegally because they will obtain it illegally anyway. For example, when they banned bombs in the United States; did people stop using them? No, people did not stop using them illegally. “By banning guns, you do not stop individuals who are intending to cause harm to law-abiding individuals.”


The Las Vegas shooting is a very good example of this, gun control would not have done anything. According to Ben Shapiro “I mean even the guns that he was using, I'm not sure that there is any evidence that gun control would’ve done anything, he obtained apparently these guns legally, he had gone through Federal Background Checks, there is no evidence of significant mental illness to this point, all this seems like is people shouting do something, while they have no particular solutions and no expertise on guns or gun control.” This is basically saying that gun control would’ve done nothing in this situation because the firearms were legal.


Now, people may say - why not just ban guns then? As I said, banning something does not prevent illegal use of that thing, like bombs. Also when alcohol was banned in the 1920s, people still found a way to get around it and guess what? People still consumed alcohol.


Now, a gun ban will get rid of some of the guns, it is harder to obtain a gun illegally. We could make bump stocks illegal, a bump stock is a device used to make a semi-automatic firearm into a fully automatic (fully-autos are banned) finally strengthening the background check system however, it is still possible to obtain a firearm illegally, if they don't pass a background check, they may obtain it illegally anyway  and making a homemade bump stock isn’t that hard.


You may seem to notice the high homicide rates - but it's not just firearms.

 


You may see how death from homicide is one of the highest in the world, in America, it's no different. According to Vox, homicide rates are extremely high, way higher in the United States than what they say is “developed countries” such as Canada, New Zealand, Denmark, Netherlands, Australia, Ireland, Norway, Germany, and Switzerland.


This research is based on the homicide rates, suicide and shootings with firearms which you can see the bar is way higher in the United States than any other country.


But this Video is nothing but biased - the United States has a way higher population than any other country in this graph, more people are going to die if there are more people; also Vox doesn’t use per capita even though the United States has a greater population than some of the countries combined making for unfair comparing.


Deeper into this “propaganda,” Vox uses the word “mass shooting.” Mass shooting is not a defined phrase, it’s just a bunch of mumbo jumbo they use so they can suck you into the lie and once they do that, they branch off into little sections to manipulate your mind into thinking “wow, the numbers are so much bigger in the United States compared to other countries.” When in reality they used “developed countries” so the viewers wouldn’t be exposed to the actual countries where gun control has failed.


Finland is one of the countries on this list and even though it has fewer shootings per capita; the death toll per shooting is astronomically higher than the death toll per shooting in the United States.


Also, 98% of Shootings happen in areas where guns are banned so banning guns didn’t do… Anything, it’s just not how it works.

 

Another strong supporting reason is the fact that in the United States, Chicago has one of the strictest gun laws, it also has the highest homicide rate, which exceeds the average homicide rate of the country which is 5.3


According to Louderwithcrouder, Poverty correlates to gun violence way more than gun ownership correlates to gun violence, which shows because poorer areas in the United States and the rest of the world have higher gun violence rates than countries with more gun ownership rates, so why is gun ownership taking the blame for all of this when in reality it doesn’t correlate nearly as much as other existing factors.


Gun control is a phrase used way too much, and quite frankly, may just be a phrase used by people who don’t know how it really works. Think to take the guns away from everyone works? Well, it doesn’t it only encourages the process of illegal purchase. Now that you know gun control doesn’t work, make sure to keep it in mind, it may help you one day…  Finally, Leave with this, “I don't think there should be more gun control. I think there should be more education.” -Sam Brownback


The author's comments:

I am a conservative writer, but I made sure to look at the other side to see if I would change my mind.