The Cosmetic Reality | Teen Ink

The Cosmetic Reality

By hannahrosenfelt BRONZE, Asheville, North Carolina
hannahrosenfelt BRONZE, Asheville, North Carolina

Blush, contour, eyeshadow, and highlighter. These are just a few of the many different types of makeup. Now what is makeup? You may think beautifying elements to elevate appearance or something to bring out the physical features and express yourself, but is that what it really is? Many teenagers wear makeup for other reasons, to hide insecurities and to fit in. Cosmetics should be worn for other reasons not just to have the same complexion of a model.

Stunning teens that you see when scrolling through Instagram sets a standard. Many teens that wear makeup know about the stereotype about how teenagers have to look perfect, and think that it’s terrible, but what they don’t know is that they may be supporting this. Concealer and foundation, only created for the use of covering pimples or bags under the eyes. Wearing makeup for these reasons enforces the idea that your face should look flawless.

These beliefs about having to wear cosmetics don’t just magically appear in your mind, they are placed there. Makeup advertisement is frequently seen by teenagers, especially the more we’re exposed to technology. Commercials for makeup say how your face will look clearer and better. This also puts the thought that your face has to look exceptional and how if it doesn’t, you’re not meeting the expectations. This occurs especially the more you see these type of things. Is all makeup bad though? The answer is no because it can also make you feel more confident and it can just be joyful to do. Your favorite youtubers and influencers may even create videos of makeup where it shows pure creativity and happiness.

This issue that focuses on what cosmetics are secretly doing to your mind should be mentally addressed when wearing it. Keep in mind that you should not feel like you have to wear it even if the world around you is telling you so. Coming from a teenager that uses makeup to cover up acne and just for entertainment, it’s important for me to remember that it is my decision if I want to put it on, not anyone else’s. Make it your decision. Whether you wear makeup or not, remember that you’re just as beautiful with or without it no matter what society tells you.

I am in seventh grade and this issue that I focused on is something that I see frequently. I struggle with the way I see myself with makeup and without and I wanted to get the thought out that teens shouldn't feel like they have to look perfect.