38,000 Feet | Teen Ink

38,000 Feet

By ISeeStars PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina
ISeeStars PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina

"I survived because the fire within me burned brighter than the fire around me."

Things become a little clearer at 38,000 feet in the air. Stranger's faces aren't blurred. Your music hits a little harder. The thoughts crashing in your mind like harsh waves evens out. You look down and, say it's a night flight, see this absolutely striking network of veins per se. Veins that connect cities to small communities. Small communities to individual people. We follow this patchwork from city to city whenever we travel but how many times can you say you've honestly considered if it's a vein branching out or not if you're driving cross country? Big cities are lit up in a spectacular display and all the minuscule ones bring to the attention of that is a person. It's a home. A car. A small business. We take for granted sometimes how small things can actually seem. We're small in our own individual worlds. At 38,000 feet, it seems like a roadmap to what our lives could be is spread out. We have opportunities greater than anything we could imagine. If the cities, towns, ect. Are the veins, what makes the heart? what keeps this country moving?

Well, it's us. We take something from one place and on the way to another place, its transformed into something we can hold close. Then, we pass it off. We go through people's hometowns and take not a moment to imagine the memories they bask in from that place. We treat things as thought our worlds are spaced into a 6 by 6 ft space. We place walls up instead of windows. Our goal is to be consumed by ourselves but what is so bad about seeing what else is out there? What's so frightening that when we take a plane, we close that window? What makes your skin crawl to the point your eyes are focused on your phone or a book with a fictional place than what us directly outside the thin glass of your car?

Yeah. Things are a lot clearer. A new perspective of how small we really are. Maybe we should be taking less time talking to walls stickered with fake cities and fake trees and bask in the big picture. Stand on top of a mountain and scream your lungs out. Share something with the woods around your old neighborhood. Dance in an empty street with music only you can hear. Strike up a conversation with a stranger you will probably never see again. Stop wallowing in the fear of something greater because you think you're the something greater. You're small.

Grow.