When I Grow Up MAG

By Sara Dickinson BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Sara Dickinson BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

In kindergarten, my class was asked, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” Crayons danced across sheets of ­paper to illustrate our dream occupations. Our drawings were hung in the hallway for our parents to see at Back to School Night. I remember looking down the line and seeing pictures of ballerinas dancing, firefighters putting out a blaze, and astronauts leaping across the moon – careers that were seen as typical dreams of five-year-olds.

My picture showed a stick figure with brown hair holding a carton of orange juice over a large rectangle that was supposed to be a counter. Underneath was my barely legible handwriting: “When I grow up, I want to work at the Market Basket because it would be fun to swipe orange juice across the scanner.” To this day my parents won’t let me forget that out of everything I could have aspired to be, my five-year-old self wished to work at the local grocery store.

When we are young, questions of what we want to be when we grow up are common. Yet we are not expected to respond with an answer that is likely to come true. However, when we become teens, we are asked the very same question twice as often. The difference is, now we are supposed to ­answer with confidence.

Teens are expected to know exactly what we want to be and how we are going to achieve that goal. Not all of us can be so sure. Even though I am in high school, I ­cannot answer convincingly. But I don’t ­consider that a bad thing. How am I supposed to know what I will want to spend my time doing at age 40?

When I think about the future, I definitely don’t see myself working at the Market ­Basket, but in reality, if that was what would make me happy, I would do it. So, the next time someone asks me what I want to be when I grow up, I will simply say “happy.”

Happiness is a destination for everyone. We may want to walk different paths in life, but we all want to be happy wherever we end up. Choose your path, but don’t worry too much about choosing wisely. Make a ­mistake or two and try new things. But ­always remember, if you’re not happy, you’re not at the end of your journey yet.

on Nov. 5 2011 at 12:45 pm
She-who-loves-love SILVER, Tecumseh, Oklahoma

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever left, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
-Sherlock Holmes

I'm in the company of the simple-minded... then again, SOUP trumps all veggies!

on Oct. 26 2011 at 7:17 pm
Erecura PLATINUM, Eugene, Oregon

"Hell is empty; all the devils are here."
The tempest

Wow, i liked this. I have absolutely no idea what i want to be. i have wanted to be a veterinarian for ages, but now i dont know...

Madeleine J. said...
on Oct. 26 2011 at 3:24 pm
Very well done! You worked the narrative into the story well, it flowed, and was so true. Thanks for sharing your work!

on Oct. 26 2011 at 7:59 am
JillianNora SILVER, Forest Park, Illinois

"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity." -1 Timothy 4:12

I remember wanting to be a ballerina astronaut:) beautiful piece. Great job!

on Oct. 26 2011 at 7:35 am
Miss_Brightside GOLD, Defiance, Ohio

It's like she sees the diamond underneath And she's polishin' you 'til you shine. -Brad Paisley. (this goes to my step mom she keeps me going)
If you want a rainbow you gotta put up with the rain.-Albert Einstein

i have wanted to be a cop for most of my life but now i have no idea. all i know is i want a family. maybe a writer, a nurse, or even an artist. we still have time to make up our minds.

on Oct. 9 2011 at 4:33 pm
Montserrat.Alvarenga BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

"Dream no small dreams for they have no power to change the hearts of men."
~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The essay flowed well in terms of ideas. The story at the begging not only made the story relatable but was the perfect introduction to her essay. Also, the topic she was writing about is something all teenagers are worried about. We are always being bombarded with the thought of growing up and the monumental decision we must make of what we will do once we are adults. I have had a lot of trouble deciding this myself but reading this has made me realize that I am not alone.

on Oct. 9 2011 at 3:11 pm
lzcelloplayer BRONZE, Wayland, Massachusetts

"It seems that we all look at Nature too much, and live with her too little." ~ Oscar Wilde

I'm really happy that you wrote this. This makes me feel like it's okay to not know who you will want to be when you grow up yet. I still don't know. And I think it's also just about finding who you are, as you grow up. 

Congrats on getting it in the magazine! 

:D

on Sep. 15 2011 at 7:03 pm
teeninkwasspilledhere BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

"I have not failed 10,000 times. I have merely found 10,000 ways that will not work." -Thomas Edison

Oh. That's pretty cool, that you can experience deep sadness and elation simoltaneously. Why don't you just focus on your happiness? Speaking from a religous point of view, I think that's pretty important! All the best!

on Sep. 15 2011 at 5:04 pm
jesus_saves GOLD, San Antonio, Texas

You know somethings wrong when you can't share your thoughts with your self.
-Sadie P. Jackson

i guess. *sigh* but it makes me sad to know that others are ignorant of the elation i am feeling...

on Sep. 15 2011 at 3:59 pm

Ok, Ok. So you're experiencing true joy. enJOY it.

The other people are experiencing "happiness" but they are ignorant of the TRUE JOy. Well, ignorance is bliss. Let them enjoy their bliss and enjoy your joy.

And I'll enjoy mine. THE END.

on Sep. 14 2011 at 10:05 pm
jesus_saves GOLD, San Antonio, Texas

-Sadie P. Jackson

But the deal is even thouhg both belive that they are experiencing "happiness" only one is truly experiencing pure Joy. And that is the one thatfeels jesus casue with out jesus then no one can truly b joyful.

on Sep. 14 2011 at 8:28 pm

i said i wanted to be a mommy

great writing!!

on Sep. 14 2011 at 6:40 pm
Rina-with-a-k SILVER, Fayetteville, North Carolina

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

It's like a John Lennon qoute: 

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy.’ They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.

on Sep. 14 2011 at 6:33 pm

Just to settle the argument right here, I think you all have different versions of what the word "happiness" means, and that's wonderful. Happiness is different for every person. The religious one becomes happy by doing jesus's will, which is great for him/her. The atheist has something else to bring him/her satisfaction...To each his own- different streaks for different freaks :)

C.M.L. BRONZE said...
on Sep. 14 2011 at 4:34 pm
C.M.L. BRONZE, San Jose, California

wobbledy wobbledy wa wobble wobble

I wanted to be a bunny.

.___.

Nicely done.

soldout said...
on Sep. 14 2011 at 4:29 pm
That IS funny, bt don't feel bad. You're allowed to be wacky when you're little, it's practically a law! So, ok, the author of this piece? You're right! It's crazy that you wanted to work in a grocery store, and that as you get older there is more pressure on exactly what our life ambitions are. Some people have dreams from the beginning of their lives, others like you and me are still thinking about it. You're not alone in this, I can tell u that!

Luz64 said...
on Sep. 14 2011 at 3:44 pm
Isn't God all about love and being happy? God wants us to be happy. He would want you to do the thing that makes you happy. Just saying. :)

on Sep. 12 2011 at 9:00 pm
AddieDay SILVER, Danville, California
I love the way you capture the idea that it's ok to change your life's dreams--and how ridiculously we answered when we were little. When I was four, my cousin, whom I loved and tried to copy in all things, was in elementary school. My life's amibition was to go to elementary school myself. My parents will never stop teasing me, saying that I have already reached my life's goals. So yeah, we're all a little crazy at that age!

Brin11 BRONZE said...
on Sep. 12 2011 at 4:19 pm
Brin11 BRONZE, Gilmer, Texas

that would be kind of cool, being a tornado! (how about a story from its perspective....?)

Brin11 BRONZE said...
on Sep. 12 2011 at 4:18 pm
Brin11 BRONZE, Gilmer, Texas
it takes even more of a risk to not decide at all....but it is a hard choice. 

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!