When I Grow Up This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In kindergarten, my class was asked, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” Crayons danced across sheets of ­paper to illustrate our dream occupations. Our drawings were hung in the hallway for our parents to see at Back to School Night. I remember looking down the line and seeing pictures of ballerinas dancing, firefighters putting out a blaze, and astronauts leaping across the moon – careers that were seen as typical dreams of five-year-olds.

My picture showed a stick figure with brown hair holding a carton of orange juice over a large rectangle that was supposed to be a counter. Underneath was my barely legible handwriting: “When I grow up, I want to work at the Market Basket because it would be fun to swipe orange juice across the scanner.” To this day my parents won’t let me forget that out of everything I could have aspired to be, my five-year-old self wished to work at the local grocery store.

When we are young, questions of what we want to be when we grow up are common. Yet we are not expected to respond with an answer that is likely to come true. However, when we become teens, we are asked the very same question twice as often. The difference is, now we are supposed to ­answer with confidence.

Teens are expected to know exactly what we want to be and how we are going to achieve that goal. Not all of us can be so sure. Even though I am in high school, I ­cannot answer convincingly. But I don’t ­consider that a bad thing. How am I supposed to know what I will want to spend my time doing at age 40?

When I think about the future, I definitely don’t see myself working at the Market ­Basket, but in reality, if that was what would make me happy, I would do it. So, the next time someone asks me what I want to be when I grow up, I will simply say “happy.”

Happiness is a destination for everyone. We may want to walk different paths in life, but we all want to be happy wherever we end up. Choose your path, but don’t worry too much about choosing wisely. Make a ­mistake or two and try new things. But ­always remember, if you’re not happy, you’re not at the end of your journey yet.

Maaddiiee18 said...
I agree 100% with this!  When I was younger I always used to say that I was going to be an artist when I grew up, and now I can't draw at all!  What you said about your jouney isn't complete until you are completely happy stood out to me because I always believe this!

rheameThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:53 am
100% true!!!! and HAPPY eveyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

royalujjwa4This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
god!! i've been telling people 'happy' since quite a long time as well!! Even in my entrance exams, i fill out the forms with 'happy', for 'aim in life'!

Dominik-the-donkey said...
I know exactly what you are talking about!  When I was younger life was so easy and I knew exactly what I wanted to do wether it was a painter or a astronaut or a pilot, but now that I'm in 8th grade so much has changed and I have absolutely 100% no clue what I want to do.  I think others might know more than me about myself! I feel so lost and I'm afraid that if I don't pick the right one then I will be stuck with it and won't be happy.

Ishi14 replied...
Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:07 am
Friend, the thing you wrote is exactly what I think. 
Even I'm in 8th Std. and puzzled up for my future. 
I'm so worried that all my mates would have decided their career but I guess I'm the one who is still confused!

inspired replied...
ishi14 i completely agree with u and i am also suprisingly in 8th grade

TaylorG said...
i really agree with you that "happiness is a destination for everyone." All anyone really wants is to be in life is happy.

13Katty13 said...
I totally understand what you are trying to get across! I from now on say that I as well just want to be happy when I get older. I stil dont know what I want to be.  

sarahw123 said...
Last paragraph is beautifully written! The wait to be happy is always the worst. 

alepinklover said...
I agree with everything!!!! I am a true believer that you have to do something that makes me happy because I wouldn't want to be miserable my whole life doing something if i had the chance to do and be happy.

Ruby-Paige-Rose said...
I wish everyone could see the journey of life like you do. You're right. Happiness is the key.

AriShine This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This gave me shivers... "Happiness is a destination for everyone...if you're not happy, you're not at the end of your jouney yet." I will quote this! Words of wisdom! LOVE!

Sara D. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 13, 2013 at 11:22 am
Thank you for your support! Four years later and I'm still writing! :)

Black_Rose_Princess said...
Beautifully written! This is definitely something I can relate to. And your answer is amazing and so true. 

Anni45 said...
I like this! I like the description of "the crayons dancing across the paper" and how you will say, the next time someone asks, that you want to be happy. I have never thought about it before, but I love your response.

wishingtheskywasbluer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
wonderful article!

TaurusGal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
"But ­always remember, if you’re not happy, you’re not at the end of your journey yet." That's so true. Truly deep and meaningful.

NighttimeVesper said...
This article is full of truth! No one's future is certain. It's your life. You should do what gives you happiness--real happiness.

abbyb13 said...
I absolutely agree with the comment below. I also agree with this article. I definitely feel where you're coming from, and I think uncertainty is what makes life exciting. Good luck :)

Becca17 said...
Reminds me of a John Lennon quote: "When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the question, and I told them they didn't understand life." You're a great writer, if that's what you enjoy I think you'd be perfect at it :P :)