A Truth About the U.S. and China | Teen Ink

A Truth About the U.S. and China

China and the U.S. are two of the most important countries in the world. They share similarities and differences in the politics, economy, sports, culture and customs. But the educational systems are the most interesting. If we take a look at them, we will discover a truth about these two countries.

First, the similarities. In both systems, teachers care about students’ problems in their lives and study. About two years ago, in China, my math teacher talked to me about not to be stressful in some super hard problems which I can’t figure them out. In my summer school in the U.S., my English Language Arts class teacher never forced me to finish any tasks, and just let me try my best. Another similarity is that all the students in U.S. and China want to go to a good college. Most students in China work hard to get into the top university such as Tsinghua and Peking. At the same time, U.S. students also work hard get into their dream school.

But there are many differences too. In China, most homework is about copying words or reciting paragraphs, as Chinese think the more you repeat, the better you learn. But in the U.S., there is more creative homework like writing a limerick or essay about my name. The content of lesson is different too. In China, students usually study what they need in the examination. In my 9th Grade, the school stopped our science class as we had finished the science test and needed to prepare for the High School Admission Exam. But I learned a lot of useful skills such as communication, expression, etc. from my ELA class in the U.S. My teacher often wanted my feedback to his class and asked about what content I’d like to learn about. But in China, there are few chances to choose what I want to learn about, and just follow the syllabus. Students in China also have more competition than those in the U.S. There are near 10 million students who take the college admission test and try to go into the 820 universities. Only 4 million students can be above the line. But in the U.S., there are 2.36 million students who get into 4,200 colleges. This means the Chinese students have less chances to get into a university and give more pressure on them.

There are a lot of similarities and differences in the educational system between the U.S. and China. Both countries are concerning with the education problems. The truth is there are advantages and disadvantages. Both of the systems are best solution for their students now.

I'm new to the U.S. and i'm taking my first class. I'm thinking about differences and similarities of the educational systems. It's my first time to write a complete essay in English.