The Controversy of Calculus | Teen Ink

The Controversy of Calculus

By jpodany BRONZE, Harahan, Louisiana
jpodany BRONZE, Harahan, Louisiana

My friends, I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about calculus. All right, here is how I feel about calculus:

If when youThis is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.

say calculus you mean the most difficult math class, the bane of existence, the throbbing headache of confusion, that defeats social lives, demolishes sleep schedules, decreases GPAs, generates excessive anxiety and tears, yea, actually causes students to cry over trivial numbers; if you mean the distressing subject that challenges the smartest men and women in the world, highest ranking students below their high standards of perfection, and worthiness, and honor and integrity, and authority, then certainly I am against it.

But, if when you say calculus you mean the proving of all things that exist and all things that do not, the mysterious subject, the study that is mastered when mathematicians explore how science works, that instills knowledge in students’ minds and fulfillment in their curiosities, and the understanding of the things unseen; if you mean chasing challenges; if you mean the subject which derives nature to narrate how the world is sculpted at the origin, and how it functions, and how it moves, even if it is just numbers, intricate derivatives, and complicated related rates, and nonexistent limits; if you mean that subject, the understanding of which expands our minds unto higher heights, which is used in training our engineers, our doctors, our physicists, our space explorers, our economists, and professors; to solve problems and teach students and explore the nature of your world, then certainly I am for it.

This piece is inspired by Noah S. Sweat's Whiskey Speech.