Ode to the New Kids | Teen Ink

Ode to the New Kids

By ISeeStars PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina
ISeeStars PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina

"I survived because the fire within me burned brighter than the fire around me."

I'm shaking now. Like some addict in desperate need of a cigarette. I'm fumbling with my phone and I can't see cause these damn hall lights are too bright and my screen brightness is all the way down. I'm flying down the staircase, half reminding myself that this is a better staircase if I'm in a hurry to Biomed but not really caring cause my music won't play. "Your session is timed out" flashes across my screen and if I wasn't in public, I'd scream. I hit the "okay" And quickly open the app for the third time in the past 30 seconds thinking that maybe being outside will help. It does. I turn the volume up. Everyone gets drowned out. A sweet symphony fills the space in my mind and mixes with the loads of school procedures that I've paid almost no focus to. A few conversations I'd overheard are rattled away in a filing cabinet for something to joke with my friend later. The thought of the boy in my civics class seems like nothing more than a daydream and I would rather keep it that way. No one's looking at me cause I don't exist. Everyone in their friend groups. I sat alone at lunch and got a chunk of reading done but good Lord I said maybe 20 words in seven hours and it scares me cause I don't like being quiet. I like being loud. I like loud laughter. Loud music. Loud talking. It means excitement. It means eager. God, I miss Loud. I miss familiar hallways and familiar students- even the ones I never spoke with or hated. I miss my friends. I miss seeing the same teacher every day no matter what year I had her. I miss knowing the names of almost everyone graduating.

I'm a New Student, but I miss being just a student.