Why Junk Food Should Be Sold in Schools | Teen Ink

Why Junk Food Should Be Sold in Schools

By aztechockey18 BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts
aztechockey18 BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts

People say most kids are obese because of what they eat at school. Schools need better food and better snacks at lunch. Which made me choose the topic school ban on junk food may harm funding. I chose this topic because my school's food is not the tastiest and healthiest food but if the sold candy and junk food the school would be able to get more money and better food for school lunches.

One reason school stopped selling junk food in vending machines is cause of childhood obesity. But selling junk food in vending machines is not the cause of childhood obesity. The findings suggest that efforts to combat childhood obesity might best be aimed at parents and the foods available at home and outside of school. Another reason why selling junk food isn't the cause for childhood obesity is Yes, the lunches have some nutrition, but it doesn't make it better. Obesity is always blamed on junk food, but there is many different things that factor into it! The lack of exercise is one! Anything will be bad for you if you eat too much, and you get little exercise!th is prove that kids that are obese should go out and exercise and that selling junk food and school lunches aren’t the cause of childhood obesity. Another reason why school lunches and junk food aren't the cause of childhood obesity. Junk food sales in schools, long blamed for contributing to childhood obesity, do not make a difference overall in the weight of middle school students.

If schools sold junk food there funding would go up significantly.  In 2001, before the junk-food ban was passed, high-school associated student body (ASB) governments across the city made $214,000 in profits from vending machines, according to district data. This year, they've made $17,000. Also according to their school board, they are losing a lot of money because–shockingly enough–kids don’t want to purchase orange juice and granola bars. I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but schools should be allowed to sell junk food. The final reason on why schools ban on junk food will affect school funding is the revenues from vending machines and student stores are down by more than $50,000 per year, and that's caused the school to cut back on funding to a range of student activities while increasing what have been called "pay to play" athletic fees.

What is the difference between school lunches and junk food! Many schools serve pizza, cheeseburgers, and chicken fingers for lunch. Well, that is junk food also! Banning junk food from school would be banning all of the things, that most kids ate for lunch today. I also got prove from a former governor of new Jersey  Richard J. Codey To begin with, there is the problem of defining junk food. Are we talking about potato chips, soda, and pastries? What about fried chicken fingers, cheeseburgers, and pizza — foods many school cafeterias serve.

Other people believe Junk food shouldn’t be sold in schools. One reason is people think that junk food is the cause of childhood obesity. Also parents want their children to eat healthy and they also don’t want their children to spend their money on junk food. Parents would probably say no selling junk in school because junk means “food that has low nutritional value, typically produced in the form of packaged snacks needing little or no preparation.

In conclusion, school should sell junk food to bring up their funding. It won't affect kids health. Also it's not very different then the option that the school give you. Selling junk food in schools will help schools everywhere raise more funding to pay for better stuff. From what is wrote one of the main reason schools banned junk food is cause of childhood obesity but one of the reasons why Kids are obese is because they don't get enough exercise.

The fact that shool don't sell junk food because of childhood obesity. But the school's food is not the cause of childhood obesity. It has many different facters like the amount they exercise. 

HI4444 said...
on May. 22 2023 at 9:55 am
HI4444, Cheboygan, Michigan
nice

amaliacez said...
on Apr. 22 2020 at 10:26 am
amaliacez, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
This is so wrong it makes me mad. You have only scraped the surface on issues related to junk food in schools. There are a lot of other issues like type two diabetes and heart disease that are caused by healthy eating habits that are usually picked up by people in their childhood. You should have done so much more research before publishing this.

0w0 said...
on Mar. 12 2020 at 11:29 am
0w0, Oregon, Oregon
I like it a lot and this person is corect.

ZachKooper said...
on Feb. 25 2020 at 11:49 am
ZachKooper, Somewhere, Alabama
There's so much wrong with this.
You claim it doesn't affect health in kids, well, it DOES! It causes unhealthy eating habits down the road.
Schools don't make that much money from selling junk food as they still need to give money to the company's who gave them it
Kids don't know that Junkfood is bad for them, they just want what tastes the best.
You claim that the government made money, from Vending machines, what you failed to mention is how MUCH of that money has to go towards other companies. (Coke, Pepsi, Dals, etc.)
I agree that (while yes fast food is easier to prepare) that doesn't mean its the better option.
You claim that Obesity is caused by a lack of exercise. That has "some" truth, but the main cause is calories. You need exercise to burn those calories, the problem is. Kids do not like exercising. If you ate a chocolate chip cookie. You would have to run 2 miles to burn it off. If you ate healthier there would be no calories you'd have to burn off.

TLDR: Very little work was put into this "article" of yours.

DukeXD said...
on Feb. 24 2020 at 11:46 am
DukeXD, Kc, California
You clearly did very little research on the subject.