Christians Are People Too

Back when I was in 2nd grade, we used to have this saying posted on top of the class room bulletin board, “Be yourself!” I’m sure you’ve heard it too, from teachers and peers and parents and coaches. Everybody seems to shout out at us that we need to be unique and not judge others for their differences.
I was homeschooled from second through tenth grade. I just started public school this year.
Talk about culture shock.
It wasn’t really that I’ve been sheltered, just that I’d never had the first hand experience. I was innocent, not naïve. But even those long talks with my parents and pastor couldn’t have prepared for the biggest shock.
It is practically impossible to be a true Christian in high school.
I live in a picture perfect little town! Forget Starbucks, you can almost literally find a church on every corner here. There are at least five within walking distance of the high school. If you were to find anywhere in America to be a Christian without opposition it was here, al la middle-of-nowhere Christianville!
But high school isn’t like that. It’s a million of differing opinions each bouncing angrily off one another in a frenzy of misunderstandings. People accept everyone in ways books have led me to believe was impossible. Teachers coo over ultra sound pictures of pregnant teens, some as young as fourteen, and subjects such as sex and alcohol consumption are discussed as freely as if they were the latest movie reviews or complaints about homework assignments.
I’m not trying to judge anyone. I know there are a lot of different kinds of people in this world. Even in my school, there are a lot of different people who are great to be around during lunch or to talk to after school. But I find that my people, the Christians, are now the ones under attack.
As a Christian who is open about her faith, I have been labeled judgmental and condescending because of what I believe.
But I also believe that lying is a sin.
Obviously I don’t think people who lie deserve the same punishment as a murderer. I believe it is not my place to judge. I’m not going to judge you if you are living a lifestyle I don’t approve of. But if you’re going to ask my opinion, don’t write me off just because you don’t like the answer. I am just trying to live my life by the orders of my faith, by the orders of my self. I don’t want to judge you. I’m not trying to change you. I just want to be allowed to live the way I am built to live. Is that so much different from what you want yourselves?

EricBlair said...
Nov. 7, 2009 at 8:06 am:
As an out-of-this-world, why's-he-talking-here(?) Hindu (but self-educated in Christianity and Islam as well), I would like to declare only one hypocrisy I have in relation to this article. I am intolerant of intolerance. I hate anyone religious, secular, or atheist who puts themselves above others because they believe their beliefs are superior, and frankly see no difference between religious intolerance and intolerance of religion. I am pro the millions of differing ideas bouncing aroun... (more »)

E.Hartell replied...
May 30, 2010 at 10:23 am :
I love that; perfectly said. "Intolerant of intolerance."

Dandelion replied...
Jul. 4, 2010 at 9:16 pm :
Ditto! Well said.

Clara replied...
Nov. 13, 2010 at 3:42 pm :
Your comment says it all.

WhimsicalKestrel replied...
Dec. 27, 2010 at 11:10 am :

EricBlair-Bravo!!! Well Put!!!

My sentiments exactly!!!

"Intolerant of Intolerance" I love that!

carlos123 said...
Nov. 5, 2009 at 9:32 am:
true true . but where i live this doesn't happen. like the criticizing christian thing

AmnyR said...
i must say i agree with you. although it can be argued that everyone is under some sort of attack, christians do get alot of bad rap. i know plenty of people who, once they know youre a christian, refuse to listen to your opinion. christians arent perfect by any means (trust me i know, i am one, and i'm very far from perfect) but just because we base our beliefs on the bible doesnt mean our opinion is worthless.

distant_dreamer said...
Oh yea, lay it down!!! :) I'm a born-again Christian, and I go to a private christian school in Plymouth, it's really small, and AWESOME!!!! :) Christians are under attack, and this is a shout out to all the born again christians out there, keep the faith, don't let Satan win! Keep fighting, stand up for what you believe in even though other people think your weird, or whatever! God is there by your side every day and second of your life!!!!! :) Great opinion, I love it! Keep up ... (more »)

Carolina This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 20, 2009 at 6:59 pm :
Thank you! Hey, I go to a Christian school, too, and I am so glad I decided to go to it. It is such a blessing.

distant_dreamer replied...
Sept. 20, 2009 at 7:32 pm :
Your Welcome, we need more people to stand up for whats right like you! I just came back from church we had an evangalist by the name of Paul Schwanky, he is such a great preacher! Have you heard of him because he travels the whole world! :)

Sept. 20, 2009 at 7:58 pm :
No, I haven't heard of him. :)

distant_dreamer replied...
Sept. 20, 2009 at 8:11 pm :
You should look him up! :) He is an amazing preacher! Have you heard of the envangalist by the name of Bob Holmes? He is known as the one man volleyball team. He goes around schools, mainly public schools, and he plays the whole school, then preaches against drinking, smoking, and being sexually pure! :) His website is beatbob.com, look him up he's so amazing! :) He actually goes to my church!!! :)

Sept. 20, 2009 at 8:15 pm :
Wow! That's cool! I will definitely look those two up. Thanks!

distant_dreamer replied...
Sept. 20, 2009 at 8:23 pm :
your welcome. I hope I'm not coming across as pushy or anything I just thought you would enjoy those evangalist. :)

Sept. 21, 2009 at 8:08 pm :
Oh, no, you're not being pushy at all. (To me, anyway, to others, I have no idea.) :)

KateS replied...
Jan. 13, 2011 at 2:05 pm :

Obviously it's all in the business...

; )

Sunshineyday said...
Apr. 19, 2009 at 1:01 am:
Yeah. Kids today act bad, but who are you to stop them? All you gotta do is not join in. If you are "religious" like you seem to be from your writing, go pray and connect with god, it's all good for you if your doing good.

goldfish682 said...
Hm. This is complicated. I agree that Christians are "victimized" in some ways, but if you ask me, they aren't victimized in the ways that count. Sure, some people (myself included) automatically judge openly religious Christians as oppressive and narrow-minded.

But the thing is, Christian rights aren't being denied. Christian rights haven't been denied in America, ever. So I think Christians should suck it up and get over it. That, or stop trying to stop others from living... (more »)

Kelz1141 replied...
Nov. 18, 2009 at 2:45 pm :
I defiently agree with you I just wrote a comment on another piece saying that it doesn't matter if your christian, it's only when you are makeing it impossible for other people (not christians) to be who they want.

Urbs2013 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 18, 2009 at 4:18 pm :
Both of you make good points, but SERIOUSLY? whoever wrote this, SUCK IT UP! i made it through three years of hell in middle school, but in high school, i can do whatever, i don't have to conform to anything, i can be myself, an iconoclast. So shut up. its not just christians who are persecuted, are you forgetting about the blatant racism against jews, blacks, and muslims?