Christians Are People Too

Back when I was in 2nd grade, we used to have this saying posted on top of the class room bulletin board, “Be yourself!” I’m sure you’ve heard it too, from teachers and peers and parents and coaches. Everybody seems to shout out at us that we need to be unique and not judge others for their differences.
I was homeschooled from second through tenth grade. I just started public school this year.
Talk about culture shock.
It wasn’t really that I’ve been sheltered, just that I’d never had the first hand experience. I was innocent, not naïve. But even those long talks with my parents and pastor couldn’t have prepared for the biggest shock.
It is practically impossible to be a true Christian in high school.
I live in a picture perfect little town! Forget Starbucks, you can almost literally find a church on every corner here. There are at least five within walking distance of the high school. If you were to find anywhere in America to be a Christian without opposition it was here, al la middle-of-nowhere Christianville!
But high school isn’t like that. It’s a million of differing opinions each bouncing angrily off one another in a frenzy of misunderstandings. People accept everyone in ways books have led me to believe was impossible. Teachers coo over ultra sound pictures of pregnant teens, some as young as fourteen, and subjects such as sex and alcohol consumption are discussed as freely as if they were the latest movie reviews or complaints about homework assignments.
I’m not trying to judge anyone. I know there are a lot of different kinds of people in this world. Even in my school, there are a lot of different people who are great to be around during lunch or to talk to after school. But I find that my people, the Christians, are now the ones under attack.
As a Christian who is open about her faith, I have been labeled judgmental and condescending because of what I believe.
But I also believe that lying is a sin.
Obviously I don’t think people who lie deserve the same punishment as a murderer. I believe it is not my place to judge. I’m not going to judge you if you are living a lifestyle I don’t approve of. But if you’re going to ask my opinion, don’t write me off just because you don’t like the answer. I am just trying to live my life by the orders of my faith, by the orders of my self. I don’t want to judge you. I’m not trying to change you. I just want to be allowed to live the way I am built to live. Is that so much different from what you want yourselves?

IMmeandmeonlyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 5, 2010 at 10:12 pm:
i agree with what of mostly ur saying, but i belive drinking a little of alcohol is ok and that lying is only ok if it benefits someones feelings. christians are like evrybody else: they want to live their lives without hate and discrimination. like me.

SmirkingSkull replied...
Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:10 pm :
..........

SmirkingSkull replied...
Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:10 pm :
Lying and drinking are personal decisions and since this artle is about people's right to believe what they want.. maybe YOU shouldn't tell people what IS and ISN'T right?

May 5, 2010 at 10:10 pm:
no offence, but what uve written has made me skeptical of your way of life. i agree with some of the arguments youve made like who people shouldnt put you down for being christian, but ive always belived chrisytians were really nice and they still are, but the way uve said that lying is a sin, well, i dont belive that because ive lied many times, but they all been for the benefit of others. and as for the sex ed and alcohol beeing talked about freely, its ok to listen if ur interested and i beli... (more »)

bltsoccerchick said...
You are completely right! I'm sooo sick and tired of hearing people say rude and frankly just mean things to me because I'm a Christian. I hate it! Like seriously people, you live life the way you choose to, and I'll live my life the wayI want to. Don't tell me how to run my life, and I won't tell you how to run yours. I don't see why people think it's so bad to be a Christian because what people don't realize is that it's insulting to us Christians when you look down upon our faith.

JesusIsMySavior777 replied...
Nov. 15, 2010 at 1:41 pm :
ameennn!!!!!

KentuckyJohnWall11 said...
This is one of the reasons violence in schools is so big. You can't really turn back to your religion and ask for help without being ridiculed for it. As for the conversations that go on in schools I can only think of how Jesus would effect there lives and there mouths I find it ridiculus how people just don't get it or don't even try.

Wallflower This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm:
I think you're a little too upset that people disagree with what you choose to believe. It's wrong for you to voice your opinion but when other people do it's so frowned upon strictly because you don't agree.

jackieee105 said...
Feb. 9, 2010 at 5:28 pm:
I love this piece. I was just talking to another Christian about how hard it is for us right now. But the Bible clearly states that we will be hated for what we believe, but we will win in the end. So stay strong and continue to spread the Word!

JesusIsMySavior777 replied...
Nov. 15, 2010 at 1:42 pm :
you go girl!

jackieee105 replied...
Nov. 15, 2010 at 5:10 pm :
read my work!

JesusIsMySavior777 replied...
Nov. 16, 2010 at 11:55 am :
i looked at ure account and it said u havent contributed anything

DifferentTeen replied...
Dec. 20, 2010 at 2:46 pm :
Jackieee105- Christains aren't the only ones going through a hard time. And Christains aren't necessarily always right about everything.

ReflectionsofYou said...
Dec. 7, 2009 at 10:46 am:
Isn't it weird how we can experience culture shock within our own culture? That's sounds like what you had and I know that can be beyond scary. But I guess we have to learn to function either way or we'll never make it as adults.

QuestionAuthority1128 said...
"subjects such as sex and alcohol consumption are discussed freely...." why is that a problem? If they go undiscussed, problems that YOU find to be unacceptable will proliferate. I mean, if you'd rather everyone not talk about bad things, you're acting like that will make them go away.

HannahM This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 23, 2010 at 11:32 am :
I think what the author meant to express (and this is from my experience as a Christian ) that "disscussing" those problems meant joking about them and pretending they weren't real issues that could hurt someone. I see it all the time. Discussion about it isn't a problem. Shrugging it off is.

bltsoccerchick replied...
Apr. 28, 2010 at 6:37 pm :
Absolutely HannahM. I totally agree with you. Is it a sin to talk about sex? No. But is it a sin to look upon someone or think about someone in a sexual way before marrige? Yes. If you dn't believe me, look it up in the Bible. Lust is one of the Seven Deadly sins of the Bible.

Julietbyheart said...
Well I can't say much right now. I will say this tho. If tv wants to put sex , drugs, and all kinds of things bad for kids christian or not its find - but you better not mention God on tv or in your music. It offends people. It is hard but we all get through it. I have my beliefs but don't shove them in peoples faces, believe how you want but also know we are all human and just because you run into one person who went about it the wrong way please don't steroe-type me. We are hum... (more »)

bltsoccerchick replied...
Apr. 28, 2010 at 6:39 pm :
I can sort of see where you are coming from, however I do believe that Christians should have the right to talk about God in music and on tv. I feel that way about all religions. And if you don't like it, then turn it off.

kindyxkandy said...
Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:58 am:
Now, some of my best friends are Christians, and they are perfectly fine with the choices I choose to make as a Wiccan. They are supportive, and keep their beliefs to themselves, as do I. I mean, we discuss it sometimes, but its more of "Oh I believe this, but your relgion says this." kind of thing, and we do it with maturity.
Its the crazed over obsessive bible pushing christians that give you guys a bad name. Thats why people are skeptical of Christians, because many people ha... (more »)

Abigail_W replied...
Dec. 3, 2009 at 12:21 pm :
It's even harder to be of a minority religion. I am of one, and I have had people tell me that God didn't like me. What's more infuriating is that I don't believe in this religion. I'm almost ambivalent, and I have no objection to any religion or beliefs.