Christians Are People Too

Back when I was in 2nd grade, we used to have this saying posted on top of the class room bulletin board, “Be yourself!” I’m sure you’ve heard it too, from teachers and peers and parents and coaches. Everybody seems to shout out at us that we need to be unique and not judge others for their differences.
I was homeschooled from second through tenth grade. I just started public school this year.
Talk about culture shock.
It wasn’t really that I’ve been sheltered, just that I’d never had the first hand experience. I was innocent, not naïve. But even those long talks with my parents and pastor couldn’t have prepared for the biggest shock.
It is practically impossible to be a true Christian in high school.
I live in a picture perfect little town! Forget Starbucks, you can almost literally find a church on every corner here. There are at least five within walking distance of the high school. If you were to find anywhere in America to be a Christian without opposition it was here, al la middle-of-nowhere Christianville!
But high school isn’t like that. It’s a million of differing opinions each bouncing angrily off one another in a frenzy of misunderstandings. People accept everyone in ways books have led me to believe was impossible. Teachers coo over ultra sound pictures of pregnant teens, some as young as fourteen, and subjects such as sex and alcohol consumption are discussed as freely as if they were the latest movie reviews or complaints about homework assignments.
I’m not trying to judge anyone. I know there are a lot of different kinds of people in this world. Even in my school, there are a lot of different people who are great to be around during lunch or to talk to after school. But I find that my people, the Christians, are now the ones under attack.
As a Christian who is open about her faith, I have been labeled judgmental and condescending because of what I believe.
But I also believe that lying is a sin.
Obviously I don’t think people who lie deserve the same punishment as a murderer. I believe it is not my place to judge. I’m not going to judge you if you are living a lifestyle I don’t approve of. But if you’re going to ask my opinion, don’t write me off just because you don’t like the answer. I am just trying to live my life by the orders of my faith, by the orders of my self. I don’t want to judge you. I’m not trying to change you. I just want to be allowed to live the way I am built to live. Is that so much different from what you want yourselves?

eileentotheleft said...
Feb. 3, 2011 at 7:06 pm:
I understand that you don't think lying is okay. But I think, whether home-schooled or not, you've heard this rule: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

screenking#1 replied...
Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:08 am :

well, ive certainly have . i have heard of it all my life,and followed it to. but i think if your christain you shouldnt have to choose weather you should lie or not , it should just be somthing you should alredy know not to do. But i understand that it is hard not to lie. no im not perfect nobody is but it doesnt hurt to try. RIGHT:)

PrincessTiff replied...
Jul. 10 at 2:35 pm :
"The truth will set you free" If you were going to die, and then experience a grusome death for thousands of years, and you had no idea, but I knew a truth that could save your life if you accepted the truth, would you listen? The only problem with "not saying anything at all" is that people will die. and they will be eaten to pieces with sharp teeth, and burn and be tormented all day everyday, in a whole full of mean people where everyone is screaming and crying. And as Ch... (more »)

DifferentTeenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
You also have to understand that high schools are like this everywhere, and people of all faith go through the same complications. Well, I wish you luck.

bbormann said...
When I saw the name of the article, I had to click. So, good job picking a good attention grabber.

Hapigrl said...
Oct. 18, 2010 at 11:02 am:
Wow, great piece. I'm kind of on the opposite side of the spectrum so to speak. I was public schooled my whole life until halfway through 8th grade. Homeschooling has really helped me strengthen my faith. But I have friends who might be going to public school that have been homeschooled their whole life. I think I'll share this article with them!! thanks

Ashlynrae said...
Thanks for writing this piece. Its very interesting to hear everyone's opinion on this. I think an important thing to remember is that you can be kind to people with different opinions, and that when they disagree, you should be gracious. I know exactly how hard that is though. I think we just have to keep on praying that we find the balance between standing up for ourselves, and putting down other people. Awesome writing. :)

bennyB said...
I tottaly agree it is hard to be a christain and keep a good testimoney. but the bible says that we need to prevel

If you can't go to school like a normal student then why don't you just go to a Christian school?

JustTaz replied...
Dec. 19, 2010 at 2:08 pm :
Because it cost money to go to a private school not to mention there is not public transportation for them. If for some reason it becomes a burden either financially or time-wise you can't go. Also, everyone has the right to go to a public school and should be able to without much trouble.

penandpaper67 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 21, 2010 at 10:18 pm:
I don't agree with you, perhaps because my community and high school is very liberal and diverse and I am Jewish. I understand that entering such a different cultural situation as late as high school can be shocking, but you are going to encounter this at some point. If not now, then in college. I also understand that you believe strongly in your religion and want to retain that in a place where few other people do the same. No matter what you do, no matter where you go, you are going to encount... (more »)

obscurexclearly said...
May 16, 2010 at 12:09 pm:
I have never personally seen someone who considers themself a Christian being discriminated against. I live in Tulsa, one of the most liberal districts in the state, and haven't witnessed this. So, this is hard for me to grasp. True, I have seen people critisizing religion in general, but never to one person. My highschool is nothing like the one you describe, but the students do discuss sex openly. But isn't that part of maturing? In a way though, I do know how you feel. Sexual orientation and ... (more »)

bobun16 replied...
Jun. 9, 2010 at 5:28 pm :
I think there is a big critisicm on religion in general, includsing Christians, and she's feeling it and writing about it. I kinda feel it too.

EmoToboe said...
May 11, 2010 at 10:11 am:

If you got an earlier comment from me, I apologize, I kinda snapped. I'm so sick of people judging and telling others that they're going to hell.

You have to understand, everyone's different, no one exactly alike, it's hard to take a walk in another's shoes, I can't say I do it perfectly, but give them a chance, don't talk down on anyone.

J. Rae replied...
Aug. 4, 2010 at 1:07 pm :
No body knows who will and won't go to hell. And  no one knows God's decisions, so I don't think that any Christians should be telling people that they are going to hell.

Amieee replied...
Aug. 17, 2010 at 8:20 am :
ditto, i very much agree, although i didn't have much experience trying that cause i live in a total Christian town

WhimsicalKestrel replied...
Dec. 27, 2010 at 11:05 am :
J.Rae-I completely agree with you!!!

EmoToboe said...
May 10, 2010 at 6:46 pm:

Although I was raised as a Christian, I'm not sure if I agree with many of the concepts.

Just look at some of the articles in the opinion section, there always seems to be some hardcore Christian acting like they are perfect, talking down on someone, or telling them that they will go to hell. I can't live like that anymore.

Last time I checked people tend to get a little offended when you tell them that they're gonna go to hell

IMmeandmeonly said...
May 5, 2010 at 10:12 pm:
i agree with what of mostly ur saying, but i belive drinking a little of alcohol is ok and that lying is only ok if it benefits someones feelings. christians are like evrybody else: they want to live their lives without hate and discrimination. like me.

Trulie replied...
Nov. 26, 2010 at 3:41 pm :
lying is never Ok.

DawnMarie replied...
Dec. 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm :
No. Drinking 'a little alcohol' isn't okay. That little bit can turn into a lot. And lying is not okay. One little white lie can turn into a series of lies. That isn't how it works, buddy.