school should start later | Teen Ink

school should start later

March 5, 2009
By Anna Thomasson BRONZE, Appleton, Wisconsin
Anna Thomasson BRONZE, Appleton, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I think school should start at 9:00am
I think school should start at 9:00am. From personal experience when I don't get enough sleep, I do bad at my tests. Even listing to a teacher without falling asleep is hard. Why school start so early?


A lot of teens go to sleep really late because they have homework. After they finish their homework, a lot of teens watch TV and then go to computer. The time is almost 11pm.For most high school students it's the early even for school night. So the time most teens go to sleep is 11-1pm and school starts at 7:50 am that's too early.

If teens would get more sleep .As a result they would improve their grades they would do much better in tests .A lot of teens say that the best time to take tests is around 11am to 1am. 90% of teens don't get enough. Only like 10% do get enough sleep. Also the studies show not getting enough sleep can cause problems thinking.

Teens need some sleep that adults. Adults need 7 to 8 hours of sleep. Teens need 8 to 9 hours. Teens go to sleep so much later than they should .Because they go to sleep so much later than they should, they only get 5 to 6 hours of sleep. Having that much hour to sleep is not healthy. Also so many teens get into accidents with their cars, because they are so tired.













If school would start at 9:00, then teens would get more sleep. They would do better in school. They would be more active in a lot of things. So, I think it's really important to get a lot of sleep.

And if tonight my soul may find her peace
in sleep, and sink in good oblivion,
and in the morning wake like a new-opened flower
then I have been dipped again in God, and new-created.
D.H Lawrence