Against School Uniforms | Teen Ink

Against School Uniforms

November 17, 2015
By KingBrack BRONZE, White Castle, Louisiana
KingBrack BRONZE, White Castle, Louisiana
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Why should students wear uniforms? We don’t need a school uniform to help us get our education. Some students do not like the fact that we have to wear school uniforms. Most parents that are poor can’t afford to buy school uniforms for their child or children. I disagree with the fact that my school is strict on wearing a school uniform.

Fifty Four percent of schools are strict on the students’ dress code. Public schools are being very strict on school uniforms. Most schools like Plaquemine High aren’t allowed to where joggers because the high school assistant principal, Jerry Lane, thinks that students hide drugs in their pants.


According to ("School Uniforms - ProCon.org." ProConorg Headlines. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Nov. 2015.) School uniforms restrict students' freedom of expression. The First Amendment of the US Constitution guarantees that all individuals have the right to express themselves freely. There is evidence that school uniforms increase violent attacks and lower academic achievement, while there is little evidence that uniforms provide any benefits at all. School uniforms in public schools undermine the promise of a free education by imposing an extra expense on families.

Schools need to create an environment where students could feel free to wear whatever we want to. At school, students need to be learning about education because a school uniform is not going to help us concentrate in class. Most of the uniforms are ugly, and we are shamed to even try the shirt on. I hope that the state changes the uniform policy and lets us wear casual clothes to school because we do not feel like ourselves when we have on a school uniform.