Study Abroad | Teen Ink

Study Abroad

By ChiLe BRONZE, Hanoi, Other
ChiLe BRONZE, Hanoi, Other

''Passion is the genesis of genius.'' Galileo Galilei

Today, thousands of students are trying to study overseas. They claim that studying abroad is totally beneficial without drawbacks. However, it brings both advantages and disadvantages to students.

On one hand, pursuing further study in foreign countries gives students chances to be more mature. First of all, when students study abroad, they are able to gain international experience and become independent. Thanks to studying overseas, they can enlarge the circle of their relationship and explore a variety of culture by getting acquainted with foreign friends. For example, by dint of studying in USA, not only can learners study American tradition but they can also discover Japanese life style or European culture by living with a lot of friends that come from all walks of life. Secondly, because of studying abroad, students are bound to develop their second language successfully. Being surrounded by native speakers, they can immerse themselves in the language. If people use their second language in their everyday life, they will learn it quickly. Thirdly, access to a high-quality education helps students conquer the world of knowledge easily by learning professional professors’ logical lessons. Like for instance in many countries in Southeast Asia, pupils are now having bad attitude towards schools owing to theoretical lectures. They don’t have opportunity to bridge the gap between theory and practice. They find mathematics, physics, biology and so forth quite boring and don’t know how to apply these subjects to real life. Hence, they try to pursue a better education system. 

On the other hand, a great number of unexpected things need encountering. First and foremost, students may suffer homesickness after living far from their friends and family. Despite the booming of telecommunication technology, students still feel lonely whenever they stay in the host country and they will become much more frustrated due to being discriminated by numerous racists. Besides, it is widely known that culture shock may be a serious concern. If learners are not likely to assimilate to new surroundings quickly, it is quite hard for them to study in different countries. Students are guests in that country so they are in no position to judge its custom. Moreover, so obsessed with party or picnic are many students that they can’t focus on studying. More terribly, they may be lured into social illnesses because they have access to depraved cultural products like pornography or watch multiple movies related to violence. Furthermore, living far from their parents, relatives, students need to be aware and responsible for their visas, passports, international bank accounts and much more. Studying abroad is still an incredibly amazing opportunity for students. Yet, they should prepare as much as possible before pursuing their dream. If someone is keen on studying overseas, he/she should choose the best country that suits him/her. Individuals should consider about its education system, climate, ambience, culture and so on. Malice is ubiquitous so learners need to maintain a healthy level of skepticism when studying overseas. 

Try your utmost to choose the green pasture and win the scholarship so as to make a life changing experience – STUDYING ABROAD. 

Change your mind, explore new world!

ChiLe BRONZE said...
on Jul. 8 2016 at 7:37 am
ChiLe BRONZE, Hanoi, Other

Thank you!:) Haha you're right! My name is totally the same as that of a South American country!

on Mar. 26 2016 at 8:30 pm
simplyinferior GOLD, Ottawa, Illinois
I really like this article! I'm studying abroad next school year and couldn't be more excited! And one thing that's kind of cool is that your username is the name of my country, Chile.

Emma19 said...
on May. 28 2015 at 6:24 am
Studying abroad is always the best thing ever to me. I'm studying second language in Korea and it's super awesome. I will never regret my decision.

John said...
on May. 3 2015 at 7:10 am
good job!!!! :) you're gud at writing!